• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

::::::1972 2000tii project:::::::

In June 2005 I needed a project to keep my mind and hands busy for a year or so during the evenings and weekends. A friend of mine found a crusty touring in CT that needed a year or so worth of work. The pictures you see is my first attempt at refurbishing a 2000tii. I had help on the project from the wife and both sons.

Here is what I have accomplished so far.

----------------------------------------

To answer some questions:

Body shop, Romans 8:36 is in Greensboro, NC. Contact number is (336) 931-5596.

Eric Kerman did the motor EDK40@aol.com

---------------------------------

I will add pictures to this post via the edit feature so check back for updates.

leavingMadisonCT2.jpg

Evan, my youngest, drove to CT to pick up the car

FirstMDdrive.jpg

I drove the car all summer in this condition, had some fun in it

passengerside.jpg

The car appeared solid but ugly

Owwaldsotherrear.jpg

The wife says it looks like a rusty Vega

10-07-05b.jpg

Motor in sad shape but all the numbers match

Rearcarriage.jpg

Rear subframe was solid but years of moil (mud and oil)

inerior.jpg

rearseat.jpg

Interior was ok, but hard and brittle. The car mostly lived in the islands and Florida

trunk.jpg

all of the touring tidbits were in the hatch

Rearsubfranea.jpg

In October, I put the car in the air on the "poor boy lift" to tear it down

onthelifts.jpg

Poor boy lift

almostdoneb.jpg

atrest.jpg

It was ugly

tunnel.jpg

I have seen worse, I think

motoronthefloor.jpg

Dropped the motor and front subframe together

lowspeeda.jpg

Some help from young son

CopyofPC050002.jpg

Help from soldier son when he was on leave last Thanksgiving

motor2.jpg

Stripped the tii parts from the motor

garagebabe.jpg

billriglett.jpg

Transferred the shell from the "poor boy lift" to a dolly using the Egyptian method, rollers

Bobbleheadorghostondash.jpg

Evan wondering either 1. Is that Dad's head we left on the dash of the car? or 2. Will he ever get this pile of parts back together?

ontheramp.jpg

Evan and I pushed the car on the dolly up the road in front of the house and loaded it into the hauler on a side street for a trip to the body shop.

Gregsshop.jpg

Evan used his big Dodge Cummins Diesel to take the shell from MD to NC to the body shop

Headlightbucketsbefore1.jpg

While the car is at the shop, I worked on the components

Headlightbuckets1.jpg

Replated Euro headlight buckets

oldwheel.jpg

Out of eight wheels that came with the car, only five are useable

fininishedwheel.jpg

Trued, straightened and painted

DifandCV.jpg

3.45:1 LSD diff was tired and not LSDing, CV boots also tired after 30 some years

diff12.jpg

When I cracked the diff, there were two spun bearings and a chip from the gear. New bearings, seals and gear set

10Jan5.jpg

Refreshed half shafts

originalrearsubframe.jpg

Thirty years of neglect, alot of fun though by the POs

16may.jpg

Good for another 30 years

IMG_0364.jpg

PC250009.jpg

Front suspension pieces were worn too

17may1.jpg

Frontstrut5Feb6.jpg

I hope I got it back together correctly

p1290009.jpg

Bilstein HDs ready to go

Steeringcolumn2.jpg

Old steering shaft

Steeringcolumn13.jpg

Stripped cleaned and painted

24April4.jpg

Motor rebuilt and waiting

24April0.jpg

13June6.jpg

Can't wait to fire it

13June3.jpg

BILLWILLIAMS015.jpg

Rear quarters had to go

21Feb4.jpg

New metal

BILLWILLIAMS018.jpg

Always hiding somewhere

BILLWILLIAMS019.jpg

3-1813.jpg

Donors were found and installed

21Feb6.jpg

Rusty kink removed and patched

th_BILLWILLIAMS003.jpg

Rusty kink due to bad seals

3-1825.jpg

New Mike Pelley floorpan

3-184.jpg

Seam sealer all around

3-1824.jpg

3-1818.jpg

3-1819.jpg

3-182.jpg

3-1821.jpg

3-1811.jpg

4-801.jpg

Have you seen this color before?

5-2902.jpg

5-2907.jpg

I think that fresh motor will look quite nice in there

5-2904.jpg

5-2909.jpg

5-2908.jpg

5-2911.jpg

All of the leading is complete around the rear hatch. Legend has it, Bauer built the touring from the B pillar back, leading the seams around the hatch

15June3.jpg

15June2.jpg

15Jun1.jpg

Final prime on 13 June. Color may go on 17 June

6-171.jpg

6-172.jpg

6-177.jpg

6-176.jpg

6-178.jpg

6-1711.jpg

POR was used as a sealer in places were rust visits, ICI (PPG) primer, ICI color and World of Color clear is on the car. There are four coats of clear that will end up to be 2 or 2 1/2 once the final sanding and buffing is completed. The body shop says World of Color clear seems to be the most clear out there and has the same UV protectants. The Wurth chip guard product was used in the wheel houses and the bottom of the car. He also sprayed the chip guard around the lip of the rear fender well openings. That part of the car that suffers chips that are often seen.

Copyofpedalbox.jpg

The pedal box was shot but surprisingly, the frame rail is solid

brakeboostr.jpg

Surface rust on the bracket and booster

brakebooster20-12.jpg

pedalboxandbb20-1213.jpg

I could not find paint the color of that green BMW used so I reverted to black.

PC020002.jpg

This is the fun part, dropping off a bucket of moily parts and a week later and $50, you pick up these. The sorting is really fun, suffered all kinds of fun from the wife. They understand, but they like to "Mimster" us. Mimster is a word some of use to honor a lady that really likes to tease her husband about his 02 addiction

Here are some interior tidbits

e-brakehandleandboot.jpg

Dashcluster1.jpg

These parts are touched up with SEM Landau Black

16may4.jpg

16may0.jpg

16may5.jpg

Moneyfind.jpg

Found all of this Netherlands money in the dash

Heaterbox1.jpg

Heaterbox21.jpg

Refurbished the heater box following the FAQ to the T

dadscarandnctrip019.jpg

dadscarandnctrip015.jpg

dadscarandnctrip016.jpg

dadscarandnctrip014.jpg

dadscarandnctrip012.jpg

dadscarandnctrip008.jpg

dadscarandnctrip026.jpg

dadscarandnctrip021.jpg

dadscarandnctrip025.jpg

dadscarandnctrip027.jpg

7-273.jpg

Trim going on (August 26, 2006)

7-272.jpg

7-271.jpg

Dash recovered by Just Dashes in California

080513.jpg

Leaving the body shop, Romans 8:36 in Greesboro, NC owned by Greg Rogers He thinks this is over 200 2002s he has done body work on in his 30 years of doing body work. His first touring.

080514.jpg

Headed for the hauler

080515.jpg

Tucked safely into the hauler in 100 degree heat, and 90 percent humidity.

080411.jpg

The carpet, dash and most of the glass is in.

080410.jpg

080404.jpg

That love it or hate it hatch rear end. Let the new rust begin.

acbe6a10.jpg

Greg Rogers, the body man telling me something about the work he did.

Aug508.jpg

Dang, I guess I have to provide the motor? Duchess, my car dog, is in the corner of the shot.

Aug517.jpg

Vapor barrier installed with Dum Dum

Aug504.jpg

Nathan and I looking it over

Aug522.jpg

Ruth driving her touring to the shed, sitting on a stool and I acting as the pusher and brakeman. Glad no cars came while we were moving it

Aug513.jpg

Just Dashes refurbished the dash, grain very close to the original

06e227e1.jpg

Seats recovered in original Mobil Tradition fabric

Aug515.jpg

Aug519.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bill!

Looking good - I was a bit confused with the pictures you posted of the very neat standard Tii engine then there was the Alpina motor in your signature...

This makes sense to me now :-)

Looking awesome!! I assume the color is the ever popular chooice amongst 2002 restorers right now... Colorado :-P Am I correct?

Keep us posted with progress! Nice trailer!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

it looks AWESOME bill...

keep up the great work! i'm sure w/the extra hands of nathan , evan and ruth there, it'll go back together easier than it came apart.

-dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Very nice!

Do u have an idea on the (initial) completion date?

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Bill, Even though I have seen many of the pics individually, seeing them in sequence is quite exciting. Can't wait to see the completed project. Will be there for sure when it's first out of the wrapper. The color is perfect! Tim

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Bill, this is great! It looks like you are working at a lightning pace on this car and I'm really glad you decided to post the pics in the projects forum. I love the poor man's llift too, I've made note of it for future use. Best wishes and I'll be checking back for more pics.

Andrew

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

Completion date? I think wisdom tells me not to rush a body man. However, once I get the car back, I think I can do what I need to do in a month if I dedicate the evenings and weekends to it.

I am a slow worker because I have to think everything through since this is my first time. Also, I do 95% of my work by myself so those of you that work off of jack stands and poor man lifts, those multiple trips from under the car to get that tool or part you forgot to take under with you take time and wear you out.

The body guy is a week or two away, then the trim guy is going to do the headliner and carpet for me. So a week at the trim shop then a return trip to the body shop for door, hatch and hood fit. There should be another week or two there. So.....end of July when it comes back to me.

So, maybe first of September it may be ready for a trip.

FAQ member #5

Bill, did you pull the wiring harness out of the car? There are so many small parts, it seems the time involved corresponds with how completely you disassemble the car. It looks to me like you're moving pretty quickly, having seen how long it took Keith to finish Stella.

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

be done yesterday....ask my kids. Emotionally, I could not allow myself much idle time during 2005 and the beginning of 2006 so I filled all my spare time in the Midget Garage.

I did not pull the harness, in fact I rewrapped it prior to sending to the shop. It looks like they covered it while they painted it but it was not covered during body work. So, I am planning time to unwrap and rewrap when I get the car back.

As far as Stella goes, Keith's car was stored some distance from his home and it is harder to make that trip after you get off work, eat, say hi to the honey than to cross the back yard to the Midget Garage to work.

I often worked well into the evening to get where I am today as well as Keith has. Keith also spent considerable time sourcing some very rare parts as well as staying on the phone for hours with blokes like me giving advice and encouragement.

But you know, there really is not that much to these cars. I tore the car completely apart over a three day weekend. Then I started component at a time. Rear suspension, front suspension, sent the motor off, worked on tii parts, wheels and silver work.

Then I moved to some smaller components, dash cluster, dash panels, e-brake, steering column.

One of the deals in a refurbishment, is getting parts. It seems you have to get in your mind what you are going to work on next month, what you can afford, then get to the most helpful parts supplier you can find and order parts this month for the parts you need next month. I leaned heavily on Max at Maximillian to source parts. He was a gem and pulled several things out of Germany for me. Including a hatch, new OEM black basketweave vinyl and all of the other stuff that I could not save. Saving old parts and rehabbing them was always my first choice.

FAQ member #5

Looking great, Bill!

Looks like you are doing it as close to stock as possible, which will get you a great stablemate for your sweet A4-modded car.

Can't wait to see pics of the finished project!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290