• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom ITB megasquirt Project

beast02er

I've been working on a megasquirt II ITB set-up for the past months and am finaly winding down and getting to the point where it will be running soon. Here is the set up so far:

-GSXR-600 ITB throttle bodies (38mm): Custom mounting plates made to mount onto weber sidedraft manifolds.

-Custom fuel rail machined, AN-fittings

-Bosch 30# injectors

-Megasquirt II V3.0, probably running Alpha N if I cannot get speed density to work with 1 way valves on the MAP collectors.

-Working on a carbon plenum with curved carbon velocity stacks/runners. Total intake tract length would be ~17"

Pictures to follow, I just test fitted the bodies today, I need to finish up some linakage brackets and touch up some other stuff. Initial wiring with the relay board began today also. Depending on how busy I am on the weekends, it should be running in the next month *crosses fingers*

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

I too was planning on doing the ITB EFI route but it will be on hold til next season due to circumstances.

Any pics?

Please tell us how your brake booster works with that setup with or without a vacuum log/canister.

Are you using the factory GSX-R TPS? Isn't 17" going to be a tight fit? I assume that would be a good compromise for mid-range.

Looking forward to your findings...

'74 02tii

How much power are you gonna make? 30 pound injectors seem kinda large given the "golden equation"

(HP * 0.45 lb/hr/HP) / (4*.85) = ~ lb/hr

In my case I am trying to reach about 160-170 horses so that means I need about 25# injectors.

Also, what is up with this one way valve thing I am hearing so much about. JimK and I had a quick discussion about it here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,319629 (see the end).

If you have the MapDaddy installed with barometric correction those check vales are not needed. Actually, if you think about it, they will in fact HURT your MAP reading. You want to know the amount of vacuum in your manifold, whether you are on accel or not. Those check valves will not let air escape back out (through the intake ports again). Steve Nelson from TWM and I had a discussion about this very topic.

Also, can I see some pictures of these velocity stacks? I am looking for some long ones myself, but am not sure where to start looking. This is going to be a street car so I need some long ones to try and make some low-end torque.

forum-sig.gif

Well here are some of the pics I promissed. This is just a test fit of the bodies, I am still fabbing everything up. These use the DCOE side draft Canon manifolds, so no problem with brake vacuum there.

I don't have pics of the stacks yet. Total lenth from valve seat to tip of stack should be 17", so the whole thing. I am curving them to get them to fit, plus I hope that will help a little with the torque.

I started wiring last weekend, but progress will be slow for the next couple of weeks, I have a wedding to go to and such.

Hope you like,

Bryan

red73

post-350-13667565620116_thumb.jpg

post-350-13667565621351_thumb.jpg

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

I am making them all by hand. Hand shaping a plug, making a mold, and then probably casting a washout tool to infuse a part around, and then washing out the tool. This is all happening very slowly due to life, work, other parts of the project, and such and such. I'll post pics of them when I have something....

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

• 3 weeks later...

I am not familiar with DIGS, what is it? If it is a distributorless ignition system, i'm probably going to go with EDIS eventually, after I get it running for a bit. I want to at least get it driving before I get more into it. I havn't driven the car since January and i'm going a bit crazy!

Thanks for the compliments!

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

• 8 months later...

I'm sure nobody is looking at this as it's far enough down now. Well about a year after tearing the carbs off the car i'm nearing the point where I try and start it. Of course i'm dreaming of being able to turn the car and have it cough and then start, and dreading it not working and having to figure out why. I was bold and decided to do the Custom Fabbed ITB's, Megasquirt, and then EDIS it. That is a lot of new custom stuff to ask to work on its first try.

I'm in the process of getting the EDIS stuff in (almost done) and then buttoning it all up, double checking, and i'm hoping next weekend to turn er over!

Working on Velocity stacks and a carbon airbox. This has been in development for years, my first composite work was velocity stacks. I think I have found a process that works now and is quick enough for me, so I should have something ready close to the actual run date. The nice weather is nearing, I have to get her DONE!! I won't be able to tolerate another summer without an 02 to drive!!

post-350-1366757596535_thumb.jpg

post-350-13667575966557_thumb.jpg

post-350-13667575968745_thumb.jpg

post-350-13667575969627_thumb.jpg

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

• 7 months later...

Beast 02er,

Can you let me now how the itbs are working for you. And send pics to dracoruno@gmail.com

I have 2007 gsxr 750 itbs and want to do the same.

Thanks for all your help.

Le