• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mysterious hose

xmltok

I bought a 76 over the weekend. It runs well once its warmed up but I need to hold down the pedal when its cold to keep it running.

I'm not sure what the problem is yet, but while digging under the hood I noticed a large hose that is hanging in the air.

It is this slightly out of focus black hose in the center of the picture, can someone tell me what is missing?

post-1766-13667566058968_thumb.jpg

I think thats yourEGR valve missing or a check valve. I have to check to make sure.I have both parts in working condition. I removed them a few weeks ago. Mines a '75 (smog exempt).

I can sell this valve really cheap along with the accompanying hoses.

This valve connects to the black hose and then to another red hose which goes to the manifold. See where that big bolt is in the middle of the manifold. You can see it in your pic. there is also an aluminum nipple that bolts up to replace that existing bolt.

let me know if you need some more help.

I do accept paypal, if you decide to buy these parts off me. YOu will not find these parts readily available fromtoo many sources.

Best luck,

MOonman

1975 malaga '02

, 38/38 weber,close ratio steering box w/ urethane bush. 320iradiator,recaro,momo ,14" 320i rims

tii ex.manifold,ansa exh. H+R spr. bilstein....on..and on..

I think thats yourEGR valve missing or a check valve. I have to check to make sure.I have both parts in working condition. I removed them a few weeks ago. Mines a '75 (smog exempt).

I can sell this valve really cheap along with the accompanying hoses.

This valve connects to the black hose and then to another red hose which goes to the manifold. See where that big bolt is in the middle of the manifold. You can see it in your pic. there is also an aluminum nipple that bolts up to replace that existing bolt.

let me know if you need some more help.

I do accept paypal, if you decide to buy these parts off me. YOu will not find these parts readily available fromtoo many sources.

Best luck,

MOonman

Thanks MOonman, Can you look into those parts for me? It looks like the car was originally 49 state legal and someone revamped the emissions to meet CA requirements.

I'll take some more pictures of the emissions system this afternoon and maybe someone can help me figure out where to draw the line.

I noticed a large hose that is hanging in the air.

It is this slightly out of focus black hose in the center of the picture, can someone tell me what is missing?

There is nothing missing. That hose only connects on one end to that valvelike thingie.(diverter valve, relieves airpump pressure, on deceleration or whenever necessary)

Picture007.jpg

This is mine, same since new...

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Aces.

I just registered the car at the CA DMV. No mention of smog. I guess 76 is now exempt?

That is great news....They haven't asked me for smog for 4 years now. I was afraid that it was just some abberation and they would soon catch up with me. ( I was reluctant to even say anything to anyone about it) It seems that they are setting the dates by the VIN, and earlier build dates are now exempt. I believe that the law took effect in April and some of our cars became 30 years old before that. Still not sure enough of this to go down there and admit that I need to be smogged.

Welcome to the "club", wait two more years, then take all that crap off.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

First verify that the choke plates close when the engine is cold. Next verify that they open completely when the engine is warm. Finally, turn in the fast idle screw (assuming 32/36) to increase the idle speed during warmup.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators