• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Average Mile per Gallon/Kilometer per Liter?

Biscuit3

Finally got my counter to work in my instrument cluster again, hurray! So, after two weeks of watching it carefully, I've come to an average of how many kilometer I can go before filling Karl up again.

240km = 35L give or take (I never get the needle to the red line)

I read somewhere that when 2002's were new (and I think it was for a tii), they got around 330 miles (531kms) per 11.88 gallons (45L) which is the standard tank. So converting what I get now to miles, that's 149 miles, less than half, on 9.25 gallons (35L) of fuel.

Now, in case you don't know, before leaving me your answer, I drive a 1975 3 speed auto with a Solex double barrel (twin throat). I just want to see if this could be a carby problem as I know it's still sucking too much air, or could it be a fuel pump problem. Karl idles a little lumpy and revs go below 10 on the tach when I'm sitting at a stop light or the like. However, when in park, he sits nicely on 10 and isn't lumpy at all.

I'm not too sure if anybody will take me seriously now that you've all seen me naked but for those who do help, thanks in advance!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

My average consumption over the last couple of months has been 11.3L/100km. Thats mostly suburban driving - if I'm on a long run it comes down to well under 10, best is around 8.8. Stock carby & four speed box I guess you could expect the auto to use more fuel and the twin carby would be good at sucking juice if it's out of tune.....

faqsignature.jpg

Hey Square. I was actually wondering why I didn't get a comment from you on what was going on. But anyway, sorry to hear about you selling your car. Hope it all goes well!

Thanks as well Timbo, thought that might have been the case with the carby.

railwayKarl-1.jpg

naked? whats all that about? i get like 18 mpg in my 74tii

I can usually get around 18 mpg with my clothes on...

I have a 76 4-speed, beating it around town, sometimes 150 to 180 miles on a 10 gallon fill-up. Get it out on the road around 75 mph for a long run, can get as much as 250-275 miles on a 10-11 gal fill up.

Hope that helps..

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Is that a tii, ti, or just 2002?

just a 2002 with Weber 32/36 carb. Usually just driven hard around town. Too much fun not too. If I restrain the temptation to constantly put my foot in it, I can improve the mileage.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Ash, that wotks out to 14.5L per 100km not good. For around town you should be getting closer 10L per 100km. On the weekend I drove to Cobram and back to Melb (5hrs of driving) and got about 9/100 L/km (255miles - 40L to fill) and thats at 110-115km on the Hume. Make sure your timing is spot on, points, plugs, leads are all good. Then tackle the carb. Or have some one check it out for you. It could be due for a service. Good luck with it. Beaner7102

By the way I have a Weber 32/36 with CD perscription.

Edit: Also he handbook says the tank is 46L / 12.2gallon (not 45L)

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Man, I want a weber! Karl has a lower compression in clyinder number 4. Last I checked, it was 5 counts below the others. If that makes a big difference, but I got a valve adjustment since then so I'm not too sure what the compression is for it now.

In the long run, I think it will be better to get a rebuilt engine. Even though the P.O. claims not only in the eBay listing for Karl, but still to this day that he rebuilt it, it sure doesn't seem like.

railwayKarl-1.jpg

As long as compression numbers are within 10% of each other it shouldnt really matter. If the rings are stuffed and comp is like 80 on all 4, it would still run and rev really fast but struggle under load (and blow heaps of blue smoke). Get you carb checked - by a carb joint, NOT your friendly mechanic, unless he really knows carbs (most mechs now, only know EFI). Conversion to a Weber would cost abot $300 for a fully rebuilt carb (with CD jetting, plus aircleaner) and is bolt on replacement. I can recommend a good carb place, but its in Melb - sorry - if you want to go down that route. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

performance ambitions with their '02 can squeeze their miserly eggstatic petroleum orgasms (according to their masturbatory reportage) up to 30mpg. We who prefer our petrolgasms of a more violent nature driving the thin line between the naked and the dead usually find our eggstacy at it's weakest at about 20mpg when driveabouting the Outback, and when we pump our pedals moregasmicaly it's usually about 15mpg flashing the city-dwellers. When you just drone on autopilot, your transmissions will tend to be heavier too.

f1reverb -WTF? Sounded cool nonetheless.

Thanks so much Shaun. I had a carburettor guy have a look at Karl earlier this year, and he said around the same price. Showed me all the options for Karl down the track, had some nice ones. Kind of like being in a toy store. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes that is unless anybody has any objections.

I'm glad to say, no blue smoke as yet! I check that sort of thing regularly since getting a false alarm on a blown headgasket last year. I'll keep ya updated!

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Straight highway driving @ 65 mph = 29-30 US mpg

Hammering the snot out of it = 15-16 US mpg

Mixed driving, highway/city = 22 US mpg

72tii with a slightly modified motor

I see my wife naked and I respect her......

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Ok, I edited this entry (obviously) because Bill, I feel really bad now. Can you forgive me? Just thought you were going to try and have a word to me or something.

In the long run, I'm glad you respect your wife, especially when naked. Doesn't seem like that happens much these days. I can't wait until someone can say that about me as their wife...

railwayKarl-1.jpg