• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Average Mile per Gallon/Kilometer per Liter?

Biscuit3

I was just reacting to your post and I did not use your exact terms, sorry.

I'm not too sure if anybody will take me seriously now that you've all seen me naked but for those who do help, thanks in advance!

I used "respect" instead of your terms "take seriously".

At my age, being with or without clothes is no big thing. I take everyone seriously on this board if they are enthusiastic about these little cars and asking legitimate car questions of giving help to others.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

and 26-27 on the highway with my four speed, stock engine except for a Weber 32-36.

New engine, 9.5 pistons, 284 Schrick and the same 32-36 Weber AND a five speed, my highway mileage shot up to 31-33, and that was in the WVA mountains, around 70-75 mph on an engine with only a thousand or so miles on it. Haven't done a full tank around town yet, so not sure what that will be...

Ms Biscuit, I think your low mileage may be due to two possible problems with your Solex--one endemic, one (possibly) fixable. The endemic problem is the vacuum secondary barrel on the carb--it opens with a bang every time you hit about 3000 rpm (vs the more progressive and later opening secondary bbl on the Weber 32-36). That inherently uses more gas. The second problem is a possibly sticking automatic choke on your Solex. They were notorious for the chokes not functioning correctly as the carb aged. That will really waste gas. One more thing...an automatic will be a bit more thirsty than a stick, due to efficiency losses in the torque converter. But I agree, your mileage is lower than it should be.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sorry Bill. Guess I'm a bit edgy while I wait for someone to have a crack. Hopefully no one will. You've always been nothing but helpful.

Respect!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Thanks again Mike. Taking notes now! The list is looking good and hopefully I can at least sound like I know what I'm talking about when I go to the carby guy. And hopefully that way, he won't see me as a dopey blonde with an old BMW. When I take Karl to places other than my known BMW guy, I tend to get that!

They should see me with my work shorts and steel capped boots on! Karl gets the full get up when I change his oil because I burnt my foot up pretty badly last time.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Those who have stripped and are naked of any performance ambitions with their '02 can squeeze their miserly eggstatic petroleum orgasms (according to their masturbatory reportage) up to 30mpg. We who prefer our petrolgasms of a more violent nature driving the thin line between the naked and the dead usually find our eggstacy at it's weakest at about 20mpg when driveabouting the Outback, and when we pump our pedals moregasmicaly it's usually about 15mpg flashing the city-dwellers. When you just drone on autopilot, your transmissions will tend to be heavier too.

=============================================

A trunk full of shit weighs more than a naked trunk, and '02 drivers who don't rev above 3k get better mileage than those who like to shift above 5k, and you getter better mileage on the Hwy to Hell (e.g. in the Outback) than in the Hell of a City, and an auto usually gets worse mileage than a manual tranny.

' 75 automatic w/ 38/38 Weber, 9.5:1 pistons, tii exhaust & dizzy, and A/C which is on most of the time (So.AZ) gets me around 24mph, usually driving arount 80mph +/-. Don't do a lot of "city" driving, 'cause I live in a small city w/ an easily accessed freeway.

my 1975 5 speed with the original carberator gets 17 US mpg in regular traffic.

If I could get 22 US mpg that would be great. When I drive my 02 50 miles round trip to work, I have to fill her up every 3rd day. My mechanic says I cant let her get below 1/4 tank because the last time I did that, all the drudge came up and she kept stalling on the way back from the gas station.

idling in traffic in LA than I do here in Dayton...my commute is mostly freeway, with a couple minutes wait at the AFB gate while they check IDs.

And part of yours might be the original Solex 2 bbl carb--they were never as frugal on gas as the Webers--esp when the Weber has a manual choke. An automatic choke on your Solex that isn't shutting itself all the way off can really spoil your gas mileage.

That being said, my very tired 69 engine (218k, 1 bbl Solex, competely stock) still gets 23-24 around town and 26-27 on the highway. When it was new I did get one 33 mpg tank while touring Cape Cod (50 mph speed limit, lots to see). So your mileage seems low.

cheers

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

you get by with a lower grade? Mine pings even on premium...

mike

Lets see. Engine mods include 9.5:1 mahle pistons, 292 cam, Dual 45 DCOE's, ansa exhaust, stock exhaust mani (for now).

I get approx. 20-22 highway. Thats mostly at 75-80 mph.

Around town, who the hell knows. I love the sound of those dual webers opening, so i probably get low teens...at best.

edit: Mike, i have to run my car on premium too. Sux doesnt it?