• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A story from the long tow home.......

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Last friday afternoon I left with the new trailer (2 car goose neck) with 2 rare e9s on her for TX. Plastered on the side was a "NOT FORE HIRE" statement to keep Mr. DOT off my back. Yes I did think about purposly misspelling it or puting a crack pipe on it to make them wonder. I decided that most of them didnt have a sence of humor about such things and I should just fall in line. The ride there was relativly uneventful except about 50 people either asking me what the cars were or giveing me the big thumbsd up. Yes I did count the location of the fingers, I only got 2 of the others (jk). One guy at a truck stop came running over to the cars cause he liked them so much and wanted to know what they were. This is my favorite part about towing vintage BMWs is the reactions you get from people. After ariving and reloading a euro 635csi and square tail 2002 I left for Andy's place in Arkansas. Traveling north on 69 I noticed I had 200 miles left of diesel fuel. that wasnt quite enough to get me to the next Flying-J so I started looking for anouther fuel stop. I ended up in a Love's truck stop, I didnt find any love (they must keep that in another part of the C-store), however I did find somthing I have been looking for. they had bio-diesel, not just any bio diesel but Bio-willie (willie nelson owns part of the company). there is a pic of his mug on the pump its prety funny. Bio-diesel is great cause it realy cleans the fuel system and gives you more power. it actualy droped the DB in the truck a few points. IF YOU SWITCH TO BIO-DIESEL make sure you cary a fuel filter as it loosens up all the crap, I am doing mine this week. There were some kids there cleaning the truck stop and they all came over to see the cars. It was kinda fun. Take off back down the road trying to make it to Arkansas before stoping for the nite. Well I stopped about 1hr from the boarder as I was too tired. Wake up the next morning, walk the dog, fire up the truck and head to bentonville. I am flying across OK and into Arkansas when it all goes wrong. I didnt make it 5 miles into arkansas when I pass 2 cops with somone pulled over. One of the cops instatly runs me down, i wasnt speeding, had slowed down and had moved over into the other lane to give them room. Well I pull over on an uphill no less, dont want to make the cop mad, he gets out and heads to the pass side door. The dog instantly goes nuts, he hates tall people due to a prevous bad owner (who has to be in hell by now) so I ask the cop if I can step out. So here we are on the side of I-40 and he starts asking me where the cars came from and what I was doing with them. Asking me if I had gotten a good deal on them as we walk to the back of the tailer. I am now thinking, what is he up to, I have yet to give him my ID or paper work. He askes a few more questions about the cars and takes off. I guess he just wanted a clooser look, couldnt he have waited untill the rest areas or truck stops like everyone elce? The cop was cool and it made for an interesting trip. I switched out the 02s at andys house for his wifes car that is geting some front end work. On the way home I meet up with a few more of the arkansas boys and delevered parts geting thumbs ups all the way back to NC. All in all it was a fun trip with almost no rain the whole trip. The biggest problem is I now have a euro 635csi (automatic) that no realy mom it followed me home. Maby I will have to sell the e30 and make the 6 my DD.

Sam Schultz

Flock O-02s (1967-1976)

78 530i (3.5L motronic)

79 320i turbo parts car (gee wonder where the engine is going)

80 520/6

83 toyota RV

84 euro 635csi

84 318i (wink wink) race car

87 325i

88 528e (FS)

88 toyota 4x4 (das ugly truck)

88 4-runner sr5

90 318i (FS)

97 F350 dually POWER STROKE!!!!

Crud i need to get rid of some cars.

Sam, Sounds like fun, in a head -out -the- window -singing -loudly -to -songs- you- don't- like- to stay- awake kinda way! Sorry I missed you before you left, I'll call you about a shell (it does roll and steer) in OKLA in the next day or two, for the next time you have a hole on the way back from I-40-land to NC. I know what you mean about the attention old Bavarian cars get; The last one a guy brought to me, said he usually took an extra 30 min per stop for questions, and everyone kept honking and waving on the super slab. Dave V. in NC

Guest Anonymous

Send me an email so we can communicate off list. Yes I always like to have a dog with me on a trip. They are great security and company, he just thinks its great to go for a ride all day. The intertainment came this time when he decided it was his job to sleep on top of my suit case in stead of his bed. Watching him try and stay ballanced on the hard plastic case was quite ammusing as he had it in his head it was a place for dogs. He does have one odd quirk in that he likes to bark at 18 wheelers, considering the size of my truck and trailer I have to park with them now. Needless to say this messes with them as he has to bark at each one in turn. that and the usual we must stop at every fence post at the rest area ruteen is a great break.

Sam

When Sam had my wife's car loaded up , we were chatting and a new Corvette from 2 houses down pulls up. Guy cracks the window and says "We used to have a tii". I have lived hear a year and never met him. Then a lady in a new Honda stops in the middle of the road and gives the wife's 02 the once over. She had this big smile on her face and actually blocked the road so that a car had to wait for her to finish checking out the car. We were laughing about that. Funny thing about all that is that my wife drive's her 02 everyday and it has been left in the driveway more than once. I guess it took Sam's big assed trailer to get people to notice it!!

Sam -- any chance you could post a picture of your tow rig, particularly the trailer? I'm looking to set up my "vintage" (well, '78, I guess that counts as "vintage") F-350 dually with a goose or something similar (hitches make me nervous). I'd be interested in seeing your setup, hearing the pros/cons, etc. Don't want to put you to any trouble, but, if you have a picture, or otherwise can provide further details (make & model of trailer, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

heh, sweet. typical sam story! i've had cops stop and ask about my 02s before as well.

my favorite time was when i was poking around under the hood of my old rusty malaga '76 (RIP) and a cop drove by, looked directly at me and turned around. i was thinking, "oh great, what did i do?" he rolls up and says "hey, i like your car! I love the license plate!" The plate read "WANK3R". he says "i play bagpipes down at the station and they guys call me a wanker all the time!"

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Well the first concern is with a truck that old the condition of the frame, engine, trans and brakes. When ever your towing your putting stress on all the components of the vehicle. While the F350 is a heavy duity vehicle one being that old will feel the streign of the added weight. Also you have to pay to feed it. Diesels get better fuel ecconomy then gas engines do, especaly diesels with mods like mine.

the bumper pulls have the advantage of being cheaper. I recomend a recever hitch with a sway control device. it makes a big difference even with just a 2,000lb trailer and my suburban. the hitch on my current F350 came on it when I got it. I would love to replace the bumper pull with a recever hitch but they seam welded the drop bumper on and it would take too long to pull it. The goose neck is the ball type and there is a big plate of 1/2" steel across the rails. It is also bolted and seam welded and so is the nut. It didnt have safty chain loops so I had to add those. The BEST thing to do is get a goose neck as its the most stable but make sure you get a hitch that folds flat or has removeable balls. They are very safe if you buy a name brand. With the need to pull the bed for instalation I would pay to have somone do it. This is a job even though I work at a shop I wouldnt do my self. The recever hitches are easy to install just make sure your load rateing is higher then the weight you will tow. I personaly like the week link being hte trans as a trailer detaching is not fun!!! In my case my weight limit is 20,000 lbs, but with out a CDL I can only tow 10,000lbs. Electric brakes and a controler are KEY, if its a bumper pull have at least 1 axle with brakes, 2 axles are better.

Spend the money where it counts a good solid trailer will last you a very long time. I would watch out for used trailers cause they have had the snot run out of them in many cases. Its a false ecconomy. My 1999 Kaufman 2 axle 18' solid deck trailer is still going strong. Always maintain the trailer properly and she wont let ya down. I payed 2500 for my Kaufman new in 99. The new trailer is a Kraftsmade ($5800 due to the goose neck and extra footage 36') and dispite a few problems that are now fixed I like the trailer. Like all trailer companys everyone is trying to save money and cut corners. they are working on tight margins so be specific. This time it bit them when I lost a ramp due to a bad design on the holds. I would buy from Kraftsmade again, and can hook you up with the sales guy. Make sure the trailer you have has or you add trap doors for the ramps and always use locks. Remember the lighter the trailer the less weight you have to move with your truck. this realy helps with fuel effecency. this is why my big trailer is open in the center. I can close it in later, I did have them make the first 4' of the trailer solid so I can haul engines and other junk on it. the open center on the big trailer saves a lot of weight but you have to have good aim when loading.

Probably the best mod, not seen in the pics as they were taken when I first got the trailer home, is to add a winch. I have my winch mounted in a recever hitch welded to the bed and rails. This allows me to remove my winch to put it on my 4wd or keep it inside. I have a lock pin to hold it in place so it doesnt get stolen. Make sure with the winch that you have one with a higher rateing then you need. I use a 10,000lb winch from harbor freight. that 2-3k winch can only pull that weight at certain points on teh spool. mine has 100' of cable but 50' is plunty. every time I have to move a car with a dead battery or other isues I thank my stars I am not doing it by hand anymore.

Other notes on trailers.

-Make sure you have a good long dove tail. other wise the break over angle scraps the cars.

-Long ramps with many cross supports are good. remember with a steel ramp you can pivit it out so you never pick up the entire weight of the ramp. the new ones ramps are 8-9' long and weigh 125lbs at least. they are simple to slide out and hook on the trailer.

-If you have the money aluminum is nice

-DONT BE CHEAP get a good trailer

for pics of the mods send me an email and next week I can take some pics of them. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. If the link doesnt work go to www.photobucket.com and search merlin530i

Sam

merlin_m3_racing (AT) yahoo.com NOTE THE UNDERSCORES

Captured2003-1-100400.jpg

Captured2003-1-100397.jpg

Thanks. This is very useful, very helpful, and much appreciated. I think I'll take your advice and save my pennies for an aluminum rig. I'd love an enclosed trailer, but my neighbors would shoot me.

I'll also try to post pictures of the F350. Although I've done a substantial amount of "beefing up" to prepare it for towing, thanks for the words of caution, -- it is, after all, "This Old Truck," and although it seems strong as a mule for hauling "stuff," towing a car rig is an entirely different science.

Again, many thanks for the pics and explanation.