• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 02' - Why doesn't my speedometer work?

pho23

I cleaned up the speedometer and put it back together... So does anyone have a speedometer laying around that works and would like to sell?

This is my first '02 so any help would definitely be appriciated.

Was the cable connected to the speedometer? With the cable loose, as in your photo, drive the car and see if the cable rotates.

When I purchased the car the owner told me that the speedometer doesn't work. So today when I opened it up and found the cable disconnected I thought cool this would be a simple fix. So I took it apart gave it a good clean and put everything back, but it didn't work.

That's a good idead didn't think of that one.

I'll drive the car around tommorrow and see if the cable rotates...

So I took the car for a drive around the block and did notice the cable rotate. I came back plugged it in and what do you know.... it works... The mileage does not move though.. Well atleast I'll know how fast I'm driving now.. Thanks for the info.

Lucky... the odo is totaly repairable. after we got hers I had the usual fixin up to do, and same story... PO said the guages dident work.. spedo wasnt even hooked up! but I had the oposite problem after I hooked it up. odo & trip, but no speed, opened it up and it has a broken spindle, bearing wore it through. at least she knows how far she's traveling now.

Tim. 2 daily drivers

His: 68' 1602-

Hers: 76' 2002 auto-