• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using OEM air cleaner with Weber 32/36

zambo

I seem to recall a topic that had a couple of excellent pics showing how a forum member had adapted the OEM air cleaner for use with the weber 32/36 carb. I can't seem to find it in the archive (thought it was about last August ...?) - anyone recall it.

Thanks

Richard

remember...

1. Make sure the air cleaner's weight is taken by its original rubber mounts, not the carb. That really shouldn't be a problem

2. Use a chunk of closed cell flexible foam (I scrounged some computer packing material) to make a gasket to take up and seal the space between the air cleaner's underside and the carb. Don't use open cell foam as it'll pull hot air from around the engine, defeating the purpose of the cold air intake at the air cleaner's inlet.

IMHO, the factory air cleaner is a much better solution than the small aftermarket air cleaners commonly seen on Weber conversions...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

..credit goes to David "RIMSPOKE" for this stock

air cleaner modification. 8605.jpg

also look in the Roadfly photo gallery ( 2002 ) and search with "weber"

to see the other photos that " RIMSPOKE " posted

David "RIMSPOKE" cut out the bottom and welded in a sheet

with cut-out for carb top

8592.jpg

8593.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Another benefit of the stock look is that it discourages further investigation by smog check techs.

The dagsites article is great! Cutting down the original rubber gasket as described there is essential. The original gasket will nearly completely block off the air path into the carb. I learned that the hard way.

Or you can use foam outside as Mike described.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Thanks Guys

I discovered the dagsites article, but the adaptor plate thing seems irrelevant to me - the way c.d.iesel and mikem have done theirs seems sweet.

I see the air cleaner sitting on the carb secured by 4 bolts into the top of the 32/36, I assume on the standard gasket I got with the carb, no need for the support thingoes ...?

I am a little unsure about the comments about the need for the computer foam used as a gasket/spacer in some of the responses ...? Won't the standard gasket between carb and air cleaner suffice if I go the route as shown in the pics by s.d.iesel and mikem?

Thanks for all the advice to date - excellent!

Richard

I see the air cleaner sitting on the carb secured by 4 bolts into the top of the 32/36,

Ah, those little bolts on the loose in there will blow the hell out of your engine if they depart and is why you never see stuff that comes loose inside the envelope of the air filter.

Think quality, not show.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Ya need a closed cell foam gasket between the air cleaner housing and the carb because it's compliant and thick enough to seal the not-perfectly-flat space there. The 'paper' gasket that came with the carb is for the small aftermarket housing. Ya need the original mounting bolts and brackets at the circumference of the OE housing because the carb body isn't strong enough to support that big can flopping around on top of it. The carb body is relatively weak and isn't designed to resist that torque. jimk has a good point about the bolts inside. When I had a car converted that way, I carried an allen wrench in the glove box, because those bolts were always coming loose.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

That big, 'heavy" OE aircleaner probably puts more torque on the carb than the Weber engineers considered, but the carb body does seem stout enough. And mine have never come loose in many years, even without Loc-tite. Loc-tite would be a good idea, though.

I may tinker with using the stock perimeter mounts and foam just for fun. There's always a better mousetrap.

The reason I liked the custom welded base plate on the stock aircleaner was because the oval shape of the stock aircleaner seemed restrictive to the rectangular Weber barrel openings. The airflow restriction was probably more perception than reality.

'76 2002 (Sold)

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon (at least it's a 2002)