• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Cain's 3002/Engine, body fabrication, suspension, etc.

rns7602

I saw some drag car (I think) that had a carbon plenum that went kaboom on him and totaly destroyed the whole car, like started a huge fire that totaled the whole thing very quickly. It was a beautiful car as I remember.

So hopefully the carbon is pretty thick, and there isn't a HUGE amount of boost being run, otherwise i'd get that thing checked out.

Other than that, its BALLS TO THE WALLS, nice car!!!! I only dream of the day I can go wild like that!!!

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is an M54. (2001 330i motor) To the gentlemens earlier point, the "sweet" part about this motor is it is 3.0 liters and all aluminum (a very deliberate selection). The S54, however nice, uses a cast iron short block and is 93 lbs heavier than the M54. This M54 long block at the moment is stock so boost level is set at a max of 8 psi with Calif. pump gas. Next year it will get real 8.8:1 pistons, for now this should be plenty to fill the depends diapers.

Access to the plugs (no. 5 and 6) is very straightforward as the original firewall is gone and rebuilt back 9"+ into the interior. There is no heater or HVAC functions. Removing turbo no. 1 with the block in place?... that is not something I will schedule for the local Pepboys mechanic.

WOWOW nice!!! i forgot actually that BMW was making all-alu engines, which are acutally a composite of magnesium and aluminum if i am not mistaken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you know how much the engine actually weighs? im guessing less than 350lbs? :)

We do not know Haner.

This is the one built by Paul Cain, Joe Cain and Tom Rakestraw.

ahhh sorry! i posted that before reading more about it....... the haner car was a complete e30 M3 (interior and drivetrain, brakes, suspension) into a cabriolet... i should have known it wasnt the haner car. sorry!! :)

The M54 motor is 126 Kg = 277 lbs, The M10 motor is 82 Kg = 180 lbs and for the Coopers of the E10 world, the (S14) motor is 106 Kg = 233 lbs

Therefore, the twin turbo nose porked up by 97 lbs with the M54 motor but "gained" a carbon hood, no transmission, no battery, no HVAC and no bumper. Add back two turbos, intercooler, oil cooler, front ties to the rollcage, bigger (unsprung) brakes and you end up with something that is anxiously awaiting the scales. Stay tuned....it goes on the scales in a week or so.

In the famous (paraphrased) quote by Colin Chapman: "if you want to go fast, you must add lightness".

P.S. Ok, Ok,.... all you M20/E10 owners, the weight of the M20 is 117 kg =257 lbs

P.S.S. And for the one guy lurking deep in the 2002faq board, your S62 motor in your '02 weighs 157 kg = 347 lbs. (I will be waiting for you at the apex of turn 9)

The M54 motor is 126 Kg = 277 lbs, The M10 motor is 82 Kg = 180 lbs and for the Coopers of the E10 world, the (S14) motor is 106 Kg = 233 lbs

Therefore, the twin turbo nose porked up by 97 lbs with the M54 motor but "gained" a carbon hood, no transmission, no battery, no HVAC and no bumper. Add back two turbos, intercooler, oil cooler, front ties to the rollcage, bigger (unsprung) brakes and you end up with something that is anxiously awaiting the scales. Stay tuned....it goes on the scales in a week or so.

In the famous (paraphrased) quote by Colin Chapman: "if you want to go fast, you must add lightness".

P.S. Ok, Ok,.... all you M20/E10 owners, the weight of the M20 is 117 kg =257 lbs

P.S.S. And for the one guy lurking deep in the 2002faq board, your S62 motor in your '02 weighs 157 kg = 347 lbs. (I will be waiting for you at the apex of turn 9)

These are not "complete" motors' weight specifications! The factory manual lists the '02 M10 between 305-330lbs, depending on model (1600=305, 2.0tii=330). That is obviously with the injection pump, etc for the tii motor. It also is the alternator, flywheel, exhaust manifold (without downpipe), required smog equipment, etc. so somewhere along the line the M10 you list is (must be) listed *without* the accessories, aka just the long block, no flywheel, etc. OK, so back-tracking, and GUESSING that the overall accessory package is within 20lbs (dual-ass flywheel must be 40lbs by itself!!--although i bet you used lightweight single mass ;-)),,,,,,,, add 140lbs to the weight of your M54, it comes out right at just-under about 400lbs "complete". Minus your deletions (power steering, HVAC) and add the turbos etc, and youre probably around 450lbs, about the same weight or a bit more than a ford 302 iron block V8 (i always bring those up because its *SO* lightweight and compact!)... anyways,,,,,, ;-)

im going out on a limb, but id say your car will handle better than a stock m10 car with equivalent coil over setup. atleast the numbers say that, but ive never seen numbers as any evidence compared to real life, unless its lap times that is. even a fan of the older engines, thats is a real respectable project you got goin to say the least. i hope its fun.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

Im lost why you would assume the coilovers would perform any better than on any other car whent hey are carrying less weight etc.

My bet is they would be more use on this car, but no more affective. Just used to a higher level - thats what happens to a car with heaps of engine mods etc.

toddsig05.jpg

im saying that his car will handle better than a car with an equivalent suspension, but stock engine/drivetrain/body etc. my thinking is that he has the advantage of the much improved weight distrubution(or what i think will be better) and that will overcome the very small increase in curb weight. im betting hes close to 50/50 and 2400 lbs, where as a stock car will be 57/43(or something, thats whats in my memory) and 2250(again, i think).

p.s. im starting to think cadel may be the biggest threat to landis!

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

This car is yet to be weighed, I will be interested to see just how lightweight the car is. That is a big donk up front. I look forward to seeing how the wiegh in goes... I wonder if he can get Dan Cooper along and get Don King on the mic. for the weigh in!! Hahahaha

I have always thought an American would be the biggest threat to Cadel ;-P Hahahaha... Landis wasn't who I thought would be his greatest threat. I was thinking Leipheimer or Hincapie. Menchov is an sensational rider as well.

I saw an interview last night with Cadel on TV before the last stage and they said "Where was Chris Horner today?" He replied "I did not see him all day" and turned away with a weird look on his face... He was on the team to ride with Cadel through these stages as his wingman and I have not seen him once all tour besides on the 2nd Pyrenees stage where he was signing autographs after the race had started and the riders were well down the road... he ended up finishing in the laughing group as they call them... with the sprinters.

toddsig05.jpg