• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First road trip in my 2002!

Nick

Hey guys, I will be taking my 2002 up to san francisco this coming friday. I have never taken my 2002 on a trip longer than 120 miles. Any tips? What kind of emergency tools/parts should I take? Anyone groups in san francisco that meet up on weekends? I'd like to see some 2002's while I'm up there.

I took my previous 02 on a couple trips to SB and all went well. I just packed all the tools I thought I would need and never had to use them. So pack a bunch of tools and in the end you will wonder why you ever brought them. Also bring tape, clamps, water pump if you have one, formagasket and phone numbers from people along the way. I am currently in Cupertino near San Jose and I am right on the way if you take the 85 to 280 way. Do you have a route planned out?

speed costs money how fast do you want to go

Hot as it ihas been in the CA Central Valley (triple digits), I recommend you take 101 along the coast, much more scenic and cooler, (Salinas Valley will be hot near Pasa Robles). If you have a good radiator, lots of water in the car, take I-5. Your choice, just my .02 cents worth.

g-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I 2nd Gordon's advice, definately take 101. You can even take 1 from Santa Cruz on up, but there is a place called Devil's Slide near SF where the road was taken out by a landslide and it is currently being repaired and not traverasble. Not familiar with the area, check the map for detour routes. but at least it would be cool along the coast. I would say take hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo all the way up except there is very little civilization if you break down. Most beautiful drive in CA, IMHO, all along hte coastal cliffs. Do it all the time in my M3. Not in an '02 yet, scared of breakdowns and lack of repair facilities :( If your 02 is very reliable you should go for it tho!

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Go up the 101, it is a nicer drive and many '02ers sprinkled along the way. I am in SB, Gordon in Santa Maria, Rob Torres shop in SLO, Vroomer in Paso Robles, Dubois in Hollister, and the rest of those guys in San Jose and north. E-mail for phone numbers, pack tools and enjoy the trip. Made the trip from SB to Palo Alto the last couple of years, as well as a few trips up to SLO. No problems, even with the car running lousy. The big hill outside San Luis Obispo the only time the car gets stressed, otherwise you can travel at your own pace.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I was already leaning towards taking the 101. Thanks for the tips guys. It would be fun to do like a 2002 tour and stop by at a diner or gas station in santa barbara, santa maria, SLO, hollister...and just kinda meet up with people. If anyone on the way can send me some contact #'s that would be great. It would be comforting to know I got some 2002 people I can call nearby if anything goes wrong. My email is ntolosa12@yahoo.com

spare fan belt, points & condenser, fuel pump, radiator hoses, quart of oil.

I keep the most recently removed set of "take off" belts & hoses and a new fuel pump, points and condenser along with a few basic tools (10, 13 & 17 mm end wrenches, straight and phillips screwdrivers, medium crescent wrench and vice grips) in a small, soft-side bag that I can grab anytime I'm headed out of town. Doesn't hurt to take an empty, screw top gallon jug, either - can be used to transport either gas or water if necessary.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)