• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clatter from below

I've notice a bit of a clatter, and can only describe the sound as that. When going from one gear to the next if I shift maybe a bit to soon I hear a little clatter when the car lags b/c of the early shift, but goes away once I reach the appropriate RPM/Speed for the gear. I can't tell if it is coming from the rear end, exhaust, transmission, or engine? Anyone have suggestions?

Are you familiar with pinging? What rpms are you shifting at? Stock engine? Octane used? Timing set at what rpm? If running cheap gas now, try a tank of super and see if that helps. I try and not lug these motors. Keep the rpms between 2500 and 5000 and see if it is any better.

check the fitment of your exhaust pipe over the rear subframe. Mine only has about 1/2 inch clearance and makes some strange growling noises at specific speeds.

Adjustment is possible, within reason--but its sort of limited to what the trans mounting bracket will let you do. Anyone have more advice?

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

running super already. more info...since there is construction on the interstate I travel I went on the road that had concrete on both sides so I could listen to the car. At normal travelling speeds I'm fine, when I increase the speed, no matter what gear I get this clatter, almost sounds like rocks rattling around in the exhaust pipe. It doesn't do it just sitting there and reving the engine, I have to be moving, so I don't think it is exhaust related. Coming from the middle or rear of the car, I think. I'm going to go tug on the driveshaft to make sure it isn't loose, check the motor mounts and see if I can see anything from the exhaust. It is a stock 121 with Dual 40DCOE webers and a header. So weird. Anybody else have suggestions on what to check.