• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Bay Size?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So, here's the deal: Basically I'm looking to build a very light, small, powerfull RWD car. Sounds pretty standard, except the fact that I'm planning on going overboard with this project.

The 2002 seems to be the car for me. Looks awesome, has a unique history, is very light, and has been proven. The only downside is the engine compartment size, which comes with the fact that I'm looking for a small car, so I won't hold that agianst the car itself. That's just where the fun begins.

As for the powerplant...... I'm in love with Toyota engines. I'm planning on doing a completely custom job here. Ultimately I'd like to use the ultimate toyota engine; the inline-6 twin turbo 2jz-gte. Although this may be an unfeasable dream of mine, I want to make sure I can't fit a 6-cyl in there before I give up on a inline-6 in general. If I cant squease a inline-6, I may have to pick a diffrent car :-< although I'm willing to goto GREAT length to make this work.

I'm definaly going to dramatically move the radiator; likely to the rear, or in the sides of the car (I've got a couple nifty ideas for that). So that leaves me with the room from the grill to the firewall, at least as far as length goes. Given the nature of the grill, I wouldn't be opposed to having the engine extrude both into the firewall and/or through the grill a bit. Possibly extend the whole engine bay with some body fabrication if nothing else works.

I realise this is redickulious, but this will be a long-term project for an engineer and car enthusiast. Basically I think I can pull something like this off. I'm planning on spending a LOT of time and money. If someone knows or could measure primarily from the grill to the firewall, as well as the other engine bay measurements, that's be freakin fantastic. I've started looking for a 2002 to buy, but haven't got a tape-measure under the hood of one yet. I want to pick the engine/transmission/car combo before I start buying anything.

Any suggestions would be great, as I've never worked on a 2002.

if youre going to stuff a turbo toyota motor in it who cares how big the engine bay is. it will fit with enough metal removal and massaging. a bmw small 6 fits. just cut until it fits. dont butcher a valueble car. get a 76 out of california. cheap and plentiful

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Like Blunt said there you can fit an M20 in there, and someone put a 2jz in an e30 that had a M20 to start with and it looked like the yota motor was smaller than the M20 was. With standalone it wouldnt be any harder than any other motor swap. I would be mroe concerned with making sure the trans could fit in the tunnel, although you can always remold that with some spare steel.

1991 325i track car

1984 325e daily driver

Guest Anonymous

fantastic. I agree that the tranny tunnel may be a problem, but nothing that would stop the project. It's good to know it will likely fit and yes i'm planning on a standalone system. I just knew it's a small compartment and thought this might be out of the realm of posibility... I guess not! :-)

THANKS!

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

the 2002 has an oil pan located in front of the cross member and the steering located behind the front support cross member. be careful of where the oil pan is located on any of the engines you are considering.

• 2 weeks later...