• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dishwasher carb

Lost2002Angel

I removed my carb to rebuild it tonight, and sat it down in a big tub of thinner to remove all the caked on crud. After scrubbing with a toothbrush for nearly an hour i discovered that it was really hard to get all the gunk off.

So i cleaned out the dishwasher, took the carb apart, and put the two large peices in the wash cycle. :)

It came out spectacular! All bits of gunk and grime and grease in all the little spots are gone! It looks almost new!

Anyone dishwashered parts before? I'll let you know how it turns out, but as far as i know, it hasnt damaged the carb in any way. It looks 200X better than it did before! Ill get some pics posted up tomorrow of my dishwasher weber. :)

There was an ad on tv a while back here in Oz. The wife comes home opens the dishwasher and asks whats that - pointing at the chrome rocker cover and a ring spanner. Bloke says something like "rocker cover from a 308, came up great didn't it" and she hits him on the head with the ring spanner. It was for an auto parts store the tag line was "cars are out life too". Very funny. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

My dishwasher has taken care of the following:

-Trunk vent tubes

-Heater box plastic

-About a hundred nuts/bolts (i zip-tied 2 strainers together to hold them)

-Door Latch mechanisms

-Vent window gear-mechanisms

-Trunk Latch

-Headlight Buckets

-Chrome Sunroof trim

I've also used my bathtub as a parts cleaning bin & hung parts to dry in my shower.

No, I'm not married, but that was probably prettty obvious. My room-mate gets pissed whenever we get a package at the apartment though, because he knows I'm going to pull another dirty, greasy hunk of old german crap out of there that i'll soon be de-greasing in the kitchen sink.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

It's silly to borrow the turkey baster from the kitchen when you can buy a dedicated brake fluid one for $2 at the grocery store.

Likewise, if you have more than a few parts to clean, buy a cheap dishwasher (used, for example) and install it in the garage.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators