• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between Tourings and other 02's

InkaSteve

Side by Side comparison of my new (74 1802 Touring) and old (76 2002)

touring005.jpg

Euro Bumpers,Headlights,turn indicators, no reflectors, original tires and wheels 165/13 5J front

touring006.jpg

Steeper windshield angle, lower roofline, different windwings.

touring007.jpg

Obvious Roofline difference with hatchback, shorter overall length

touring008.jpg

Round tail lights (larger than other "roundies") Euro Bumpers, original tires and wheels 165/13 5 1/2J rear

Exhaust out the left side. different gas tank.

touring009.jpg

Raises the already high 02 coolness factor to new heights.

Three people today, stopped me and said they had never seen one of these (touring) before...quite fun

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Was OJ Simpson one of those 3 people who stopped you?

Al

No...I passed him...he was driving too slow in that white Bronco. You can still see him crawling by in the pictures.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

great 'collection' !!

looks like it's time to build a 4-bay John Weese Garage....

...in my dreams>

[

Have to convince my wife I can't "break up the set" . Hmmm...now if I cleared out all that crap in the 3rd car side of the garage...maybe

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

With the Tourings lower roofline, can you put your side windows all the way down??

TK

Windows still the same height, stick up about 1/2 in when all the way down. The roof is flatter on the Touring.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

Gorgeous Touring Steve! I can find room in my garage for it I think, especially since it's shorter! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Gorgeous Touring Steve! I can find room in my garage for it I think, especially since it's shorter! :-)

Thanks for the offer, and the compliment. This cars runs so smooth, I could probably drive it back to Pa. No 5-speed, might get a little tedious.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

It's interesting how they sacrificed practicality for style; very un-Germanic. I find the boot is often less practical than a saloons because of the reduced length and raised boot floor, and you don't/can't always flip the seats down.

Still a superb piece of packaging for the era - split folding rear seats, flat load floor and up to 130bhp from the factory - and who said the VW Golf GTi(Rabbit to some) was the first 'hot hatch'?

post-149-13667567952825_thumb.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Why BMW didn't make the rear panel different? Maybe could have been cut out to make the opening level with the trunk/boot floor and add the missing bit to the bottom of the door. Don't know what it would do to the strength though.

Talking of "hot hatches". A friend of mine (in the UK) in the 60s had a very tweaked A40 Farina. Think it had a 1.6 Riley motor in it. Very quick for its day, and would blow the doors of most things around then. I think the Farina was one of the first "hatches" if not "the" first.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I think the Farina was one of the first "hatches" if not "the" first.

In 1936 the Traction Avant was offered as a 'commericalle', complete with hatchback. Any advance on 1936?

1937_01z.jpg

When I was a kid our spinster neighbour had a Farina - she looked like Mrs Marples grumpy sister, and we named her Mrs Clutchy because she used to bring the engine up to about 4,000rpm and manouvere it about her driveway with the clutch just bighting. Very painful, but taught me a lot about mechanical sympathy and clutch control way before I could reach the pedals!

I think BMW must have left the rear panel as part of the Touring shell to maintaiin some kind of strength - did you see my post about my shell flexing? I was seeing about 8mm variance between the shock towers depending where I jacked the back of the car up.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg