• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newb-ish guy needs help

kikass_2002

HELLO ALL,

I have been drooling over all 2002's since i was 6 i am almost 16 now and with a licence, well you guys can guess what car im looking at. so i know the basics of what to look for rust, dents, paint, engine, smog stuff an all that. but i would love if you guys could guide me towards the best 2002 for me. i have been saving up for a while now and just about the 5000 range. i will most likely like a little sporty one because , well im a 16 year old guy that loves cars. but not a stupid driver.

so this is what i would be looking for myself in the car

engine

paint

interior condish

wheels

sporty-ness

i will probably pre order the turbo airdam and flares before i get the car possibly suspension as well.

if you guys have any suggestions please do tell

any cars you might want me to look at i will defiantly have an open mind

thanks much

Dylan

my 2002 can kick you 2002's ass . . .

Also consider regular occurring expenses: gas money, insurance, replacement parts, possibly labor to install said parts.

So consider a $4000 car with a $1000 cushion

HAPPY HUNTING! and welcome to the nut house. ;-]

Hey G-Man, see what you can find for this pup. ;-]

1969 BMW 2002

1972 BMW 3.0 CS

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

2007 Jeep Wranger X with all the trimmings

Might want to contact me. We have my son's ' 74 2002 for sale right now (see Cars For Sale, about the 9th line down). He's been working on the car since he was 14 (he's now 26) and is has many aspects to it that a younger owner might be looking for. We'll have additional pics ready by tonight, but you can see it in the front in the Avatar to the right.

Where are you from?

If you are not from California consider buying one from here anyway, most are rust free to start with.

If you are in the rust belt, this can be a big problem.

emissions laws, and if it looks like you won't get stuck with ever having to deal with emissions testing, watch for '76's coming up for sale in CA.

'76's are the only '02's that are subject to CA's very tight smog check requirements, so cars that are otherwise in very decent condition become major liabilities for their owners here when they won't pass smog, can't be registered, and become very difficult to sell (CA law makes the seller responsible for providing proof that the car has passed emissions testing).

I know of at least 2 or 3 '76's in my immediate area that have sat idle for some time because they won't pass smog and can't be registered - one of them (a straight, running Fijord blue sunroof with a/c) just sold for $750. If you live almost anywhere other than in CA, chances are good that if you look a bit, you can find a solid, rust free CA '76 for less than you'd spend for a rough earlier car elsewhere.....

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Like others have said, 76 2002s in California could potential represent a good value if you live in a smog free area and are willing to have it shipped. This one looks like it might be a good deal. Price is now down to $2950. That said, I really don't know any more than what the ad says.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488105

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

Like others have said, 76 2002s in California could potential represent a good value if you live in a smog free area and are willing to have it shipped. This one looks like it might be a good deal. Price is now down to $2950. That said, I really don't know any more than what the ad says.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488105

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

http://www.bayarea02.com/toolbox/buy-sell_resource.html

In my opinion more stock and fewer mods is better. With an unmolested car there are fewer "repairs" to undo. Spend your early efforts on fixing what's broken and doing normal maintenance. Be patient (and hang around here); it will take you a while to learn which mods are worthwhile.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators