• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end woes...

72touring

I started my 1971 2002 last night. Everything sounded perfectly normal. I let the clutch out and felt a loud thud that appeared to come from the back. I push the clutch in and release again. This time all I get is high whine and no movement/power to rear wheels. As I let the car roll into another parking spot (with engine off, ignition on, car in neutral), I noticed a pronounced clicking sound. I haven't had a chance yet to crawl under it. Guibo failure I've experienced in the past sounded nothing like this. Thoughts? And as always, thanks in advance...

Paul Huber

2000 Touring tii in 1/18 scale

There are likely a number of possibilites.... one of them is a failure of the spline in the rear stub axle, that connects the half-shaft/CV Joint assembly to the rear wheel hub.

Not one of the first things you might think of... but the symptoms you describe appear to fit.

Good luck...

can loosen, then break one at a time 'till they're all gone. And without a limited slip, you're going nowhere! Happened to me twice--first time I caught the loose bolts, the second time I had to do a parking lot repair.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

can loosen, then break one at a time 'till they're all gone. And without a limited slip, you're going nowhere! Happened to me twice--first time I caught the loose bolts, the second time I had to do a parking lot repair.

mike

ditto.. happened to me about a year ago. pretty simple fix..just replace the bolts or retighten them. Hope that is it. Cheaper than all the other possibilities.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours