• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touring on the road (56k beware!)

Took the touring out for the post-new motor maiden voyage yesterday (just a few blocks, nothing exciting to report yet). ANd then my son and his friend Isaac washed it today.

augsept2006008.jpg

augsept2006009.jpg

augsept2006005.jpg

PS, here's the MSD install:

augsept2006003.jpg

Very nice.Interested in some more details please.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

It's coming along very good! How's the new motor running?

Garry

The motor is not nearly tuned in yet, so I can't really comment other than saying it pulls very strong and has a lot of torque, especially considering it's not nearly tuned in yet.

Once I got the motor started a month or so back, I turned my worries to the tranny, as I had never used it before. That worked fine, so I'll have to find something new to worry about.....

nice, but surely you can find a cooler/drier place for the iggy stuff... kids and 02s are great... someday he'll be showing his friends,, yah heres me washing it back in the day! ;)

i have my (relatively tiny) e30 ign module right behind the motor above the trans....

augsept2006003.jpg

nice, but surely you can find a cooler/drier place for the iggy stuff... augsept2006003.jpg

I toyed with a half dozen to dozen locations and that was (to paraphrase Churchill on democracy) the least worst of them. Ideal? No, but I had three MSD components to wire and wanted them all together (the tach adapted is behind the headlight on the inside, as shown below). And I didn't want it in the passenger compartment. Trunk would be best, except for the distance and, oh yeah, I don't have one!

It's not as cramped as it looks.

augsept2006002.jpg

I see the Alpina lettering on the valve cover there. I'm interested to see what the rest of the engine looks like. What alpina stuff is on it?

I don't have any pics of it completed, I just noticed and the battery is dead on the digicam. Here's it under construction:

71b373c7.jpg

The motor has an S14 crank, 304 schrick cam, Alpina A4 injection, Alpina headers and a few other things here and there.

Five speed close ratio into a 3.64 LSD.

Alpina bilstein green dot struts, Alpina inverted rear shocks, Alpina sway bars (not installed) and Eibach springs. 320i vented rotors and (soon to be) rear disks of some variety (I have three different kinds, will pick one soon, maybe).

2002 turbo front seats. Various other Alpina goodies, like gauges, steel wheels, vintage steering wheel.

nice, but surely you can find a cooler/drier place for the iggy stuff... augsept2006003.jpg

I toyed with a half dozen to dozen locations and that was (to paraphrase Churchill on democracy) the least worst of them. Ideal? No, but I had three MSD components to wire and wanted them all together (the tach adapted is behind the headlight on the inside, as shown below). And I didn't want it in the passenger compartment. Trunk would be best, except for the distance and, oh yeah, I don't have one!

It's not as cramped as it looks.

augsept2006002.jpg

im guessin you dont drive in heavy downpours much... i imagine all that stuff would get pretty wet... but perhaps not.. ;) (id be worried about fan wash for the stuff on inner fender, that piece behind headlight looks pretty waterproof... ;))

Great pics! Thanks for the update... any plans on rims?

Todd

I am trying to keep the appearance of the car period coorect (the MSD doesn't quiet fit, but ...). So, wheels on there now are Alpina steel wheels in 13x6 and I have a set of staggered Alpina alloys in 13x5.5 and 13x6 sitting in the garage. There is some rubbing now and I have some of DAP's fiberglass Alpina flares (and will be with the alloys). Michael Dubois will be installing the flares. How do I know that? Because I told him my plans and he didn't say "no."