• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The crazy hoot (touring) idles fine! (nt)

BillWilliams

Some of may know I have been fighting an idle problem on my newly assembled touring. Well, today I waxed it, cleaned up the tires, and cleaned the protective film from the door seals. Looks a lot better now David (Otis). Your recent clean car post inspired to go the shed and clean the thing. Think cleaning it was the fix?

Oh, I took another shot at adjusting the fine adjustment in the tuna can. I think I got it right this time. I will not claim victory until it cools down and I try it tomorrow. Maybe this helped more than the cleaning......

Sept2028.jpg

Sept2026.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a well-known fact (in the UK anyway) that a clean car always runs better than a dirty one.

Congrats......so, what are you going to do now that you have finished the project?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Still need to align it. find a horn contact button and seat release bezels.

Then, I guess pops will rest.

The yellow car needs some attention, but the kitty is empty now. Need to do some more of that saving thing.

The touring still needs coaxing to idle on the warm-up cycle, but still seems to idle fine after warm-up. I am sneaking up on the problem though. Small victories are good don't you think?

FAQ member #5

I guess we will have to start a "mutual touring admiration society", they are all beautiful, even Les's with that hard to achieve "patina".

I am VIN 3410837

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I used those long stemmed Q tips for extra reach but Armor All is not my thing, you know, the concour folks use Zymoil Tyre for that new tire look, not the ricer black look.

87 would be a stretch in the National Capital area, I am not in the "circle". It is like skating used to be.

FAQ member #5

A very good friend of mine gave that to me from his 2002 sedan. Mike Pugh has one like it on his touring, mine is stainless, his is chrome.

Mike and I found a reference to the bar in McCartney's Restoration book, the BMW in Great Britain offered that as an opition.

Mike is contemplating reproducing them in chrome.

FAQ member #5