• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i Radiator install....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Got myself a 320i radiator from a parts car I've got. From reading other past posts, I'm able to use this and reap additional cooling, right? I understand that if I do use the 320 radiator, that I've got to drill new holes, but I'm also looking to install an electric fan. Figure it would be the best way of keeping the 'o2 cool.

I understand that it's not a stock look, but I'm looking for functionality rather than a stock look. Please reasure me that the 320i radiator can be used for this application.

Thanks guys...Dave.

be reassured - it fits and the electric fan works fine. seems like someone posted a FAQ about how to wire the fan, but I didnt see it in the Faqs - so maybe im nuts.

the electric fan is loud tho- thats the big drawback - and getting the thermo properly set so it only turns on when its needed- something i still havn't got down. mine just runs all the time-

'70 project

Guest Anonymous

While we are on 320 radiators, what kind of hose connection do you use on the lower right side, someone said to use PVC but it won't do, it starts to lose its characteristics at operating temp.

Don't mean to highjack the thread..

J.E.

While we are on 320 radiators, what kind of hose connection do you use on the lower right side, someone said to use PVC but it won't do, it starts to lose its characteristics at operating temp.

J.E.

J.E. I agree. Any temp above 100F PVC softens. Alternate use CPVC which is good to about 160F. I used a short length of 1" copper and belled the ends slightly so the hose wouldn't slip off.

For those not following, the lower hose from a 310 is used but it is too long. So a short section is cut from the middle. Cut it in the middle, mount both ends and eyeball the cut off. The joiner tube connects the two ends using hose clamps.

I since installed a Silicon Garage 3 row radiator. Has about the same water capacity of the 320 unit, but uses 02 tanks and side frames. Curt installed a bung for the temp sender near the outlet so a std 320 temp sender is used. Temperature control seems more stable than with the 320 rad that has the sender on the drivers side, opposite the outlet.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

first, I bought an entirely METAL 320 rad from "Radiators 911" on the net. For less the the plastic and aluminum one usually sold. But, I imagine you have the latter. So, use the thermostat control switch on the lower left side of the rad. BMW sells 3 temp switches for this rad. This switch activates the electric fan you need to install. Just get a 320i aux fan. It fits right in front of the rad, without any cutting. The trick is to wire it so that it activates automatically when it reaches its "on " temp, or also can be activated from the cockpit by a switch when you are approaching a high temp situaiton, but wish to preempt it by pushing some air through the rad, before the temp switch goes off. People who have electric fans that run on forever, do not have a manual override in the cockpit. This is important to have. Sure, let the temp come down to a safe level, but there is no reason that an aux fan needs to run forever after you have reached your destination. On the ORIGINAL FAQ BOARD, I posted pics of my 1971 Sahara's all metal 320 rad, the temp control switch. the wiring, and the expanation. Kinda like a "FAQ"- go figure. Good luck. I stongly suggest an all metal radiator, OEM hoses are fine if you use proper clamps and search for any close rub points, and make sure your motor mounts are good. There are some great hoses out there, but I do not know if they have made them for 320i Rad use in a 2002. If so, get them- it is extra insurance. Also, final advise: do not leave home without a "radiator hose repair kit" $7.00 from Discount Auto, or Kragan( maybe). Saved me at a recent BMW track school( to get home after both motor mounts blew on my 325is track car.

1971 Sahara, 1972 Inka tii with Alpina A4 Injection. Both cars have too many upgrades for the "signature" square. 1987 M325ic daily driver( all E30M3 except chassis).

they sell a manually adjustable temp switch. Wish I would have known this when I did the fan conversion. Could never get the fan to come on when needed. Got tired of jacking with it so yanked it and just put the fan blade back on.

pkbinplano: do you know where one might source this adjustable temp switch? This would avoid having to change between winter and summer cooling setups.

TIA,

TJW

Also search TobyB's recent posts for: cooling fan mazda electric (i think) and you'll see where he lists an inexpensive fan that bolts right in. I had an issue with my 320i radiator cap hitting the hood but my hood is sagging a bit and the nose was replaced poorly in the past. Zenon's site www dot zeebuck dot com shows how to wire the electric fan relay with the proper transistor so you don't start eating relays.

HTH,

TJW

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76