• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really stupid ballery question

andreas

ok, so I'm still a bit new to 2002 (or any car) mechanics, but I've been at it for a few years now and am learning things, but I have to admit that I feel like a total moron right now because my battery is dead and I can't find info in archives here or in any of the 3 manuals for the 02 I have that explain exactly what kind of battery to get - I'm missing something obvious, right?!

I guess I'm looking for group size, cca, and Rc right?

so what are the spec for our batteries (sorry for stupid question)?

Andreas

i don't know the size or whatever, but the stock battery I got out of a 91 toyota pickup fit perfectly -- and it had a little pop up handle so you can drop it into that tight little spot and pull it out easy.

on the tii you have to do some serious wedging to get a regular sized battery in there

Unless you have special needs for your battery, you should just be able to go to any parts store and tell them the make, model, and year of your car, and they'll give you one that will work. In some places like Wal-Mart you might have to look it up yourself in their little book or computer.

Keep in mind that a generic battery might not fit well with your factory hold-down. The perfectionists get a pricey battery from BMW dealerships I think.

But usually a proper hold-down isn't that important, unless you autocross, in which case they really make sure the battery is held in tight.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Just get one that fits the battery tray and your wallet. Remember the + post is on the top left (looking down on it) One of my cars has a massive 530 CCA truck battey, very handy if you run out of gas 1/2 a mile from the servo - you practly drive it on the starter it has so much kick. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

OSH (local hardware store) has a two pack of 6 foot nylon lashing straps. I use one to strap the battery to the tray and the other strap is in the trunk for when the strap fails or I meet up with someone with a loose battery. Fit the strap and then cut the excess 3 or 4 feet off. Hit the end with a lighter and it will not fray.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes