• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prepping the tii for sale

73tiiDavidPA

Hello,

It is with mixed emotions that I will be prepping the '73 tii I have owned for 14 years for sale. Life is an adventure, and I've switched courses by purchasing a '66 Citroen DS21. I of course fear the "I wish I never sold that car" syndrome, but the garage / budget / free time / wife will only allow for one "toy" car.

My general question for the group is what is the best way to find this great car a new home. Over the years I do have a file of business cards and scraps of paper with people who told me they would be interested if I ever sell it (mostly the mechanics who have worked on it). Then there is this board, the BMWCCA, and the Roadfly board which I almost never visit. I'm excluding Craiglist, the local paper, and Hemmings from the list because I feel they really don't have a target audience. Of course there is also eBay..... (he lists with mixed thoughts).

I also have several parts which I have never found the time to install and are fairly valuable (I think) which I'm not sure I would include with the car. Generally I think I will get more money for them if sold individually. These parts would include: FAQ stress bar, flush euro turn indicators, working tii clock, tii injection pump lines, mint non-A/C console, door seal set, factory blue repair binders, and factory blue parts binders. Little things like extra filters, timing chain, Haynes manual, and brake pads I think I will just include with the car. Do people agree with this strategy to sell the major / expensive part separetely? I'm pretty sure I'd find buyers for these parts here... right?

As far as the car itself, some of you may have seen it at the Vintage and the Vinelands in NC (1400 miles roundtrip without a hitch). It's a '73, Verona, non-sunroof, factory alloys, A/C car with around 130,000 on the clock. This car has no rust, original paint, mint interior, no dash cracks, and other than an electronic ignition is original. There are paint chips and scratches and door dings, but nothing even near major. The synchromesh into 2nd grinds like it has since I've bought it, and it blow a little smoke (start up mostly). I purchased the car in '92 for a guy in CA (palm spings) and the car did live in CO for some time also. It have never stranded me except when I ran it out of gas once. Over the 14 years of ownership I have put around 10,000 miles on it and replaced / repaired the following: clutch, pilot bearing, clutch fork, motor mount, center bearing, all shocks, front calipers, hoses, battery, waterpump, speedo, exhaust, transmission mounts, washing pump, radiator, tires, and some other stuff that I'm sure I've missed.

So in general, I'd like the car to go to someone who appreciates it and will give it a good home. I can take lots of photos to post / send but would really like the buyer to see / drive the car if possible - is that too much to ask? Is there a sequence of where / who I should advertise the car to?

I've been a member here for a couple of years and know there are a lot of level headed guy and gals out there. I would appreciate any selling advise / ideas the folks would have.

post-1067-13667569268116_thumb.jpg

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

....name your price - one that makes YOU happy - a price to sell -

a price to move the car - remember to forget the total reciepts - that was your cost of repair and operating for the period of time you owned it - you will not recover that ever.

Lets see the 'new car'

8381.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD,

per your request.... I recognize the Carlisle shots. I should take possession in about a month (hydraulic pump and accumulator beging replaced). It ships from Houston. The car has been repainted, and interior recovered, dings and scratches - but who cares, I plan on driving it. 27,000 original miles.

post-1067-13667569269013_thumb.jpg

post-1067-13667569269915_thumb.jpg

post-1067-13667569270704_thumb.jpg

post-1067-13667569271698_thumb.jpg

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

I think one of the best ads you could have placed was your post a short while ago. Also if you have the time start taking your car to a few shows (now that they are over for this year) and put a nice appropriate (non black & orange) for sale sign on the car. Print up some business cards and leave them at the car's side. Anyone who goes to a car show will be an enthusiast.

Also places like Hemmings, the Roundel and here are WAY better than ebay. No offense to any of the younger members (I'm only 27) but it would be a shame for your car to fall into the hands of an inexperienced owner/driver because the car could be lost forever then. By choosing to give up ownership you are allowing someone else to make the decisions - daily driver, track car, even part it out if they desire. Choose to advertise your car based on the publication's target audience. When I was 16 I drooled over Hemmings and the Roundel - but couldn't come close to affording anything. Ebay is a completely different animal because of the exposure it will give your car. It sounds like you are more concerned about selling your car to the right owner than selling it for the right amount. Maybe I mis-read though.

Just my thoughts.... Sorry I don't have my 30 car barn/garage and winning lottery ticket yet or I'd tell you to name your price! Best of luck selling and just becuase you are 02-less doesn't mean you can't still contribute to the board.

TJW

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

You should first put it on as many classified sites as you can. The FAQ site is good becasuse it's free & you should also upload a bunch of pictures to a photo-site that you can link to as well. Put an email on all the adds and answer all the questions you can about it and you should find your buyer. The parts would bring good money via fleabay, so you should shoot them and post them. I'd put a good price on the car & sell it as a restored classic or something especially since it's a tii. I'd als wait to post on ebay untill you've had it online for a little while, so you can refine your listing language & shoot all the pics you need (or the ones buyers will want). You'll also be able to feel out a price. Selling it on ebay is a one shot deal. You want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row because when the auction is over, it's over. Good luck... it's a nice car & I'm sure someone wants it. Sell it & invest the money, maybe.

GREAT car David - did you know there are Citroen repair lectures held at Import Carlisle ? now we know where to look for you on the field next year. Enjoy the S-Car-Go

c.d.

b527.jpg?grIZFHFBUcC1oOTM

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_1876841/d764/__sr_/b527.jpg?grIZFHFBUcC1oOTM

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

David,

Such fun....going to the air suspension.....a different ride, but Citroens have all that aircraft enginnering.....you'll appreciate that I saw a mint CV11 Traction Avant tooling up the 101 north of Santa Barbara last month....lovely light blue. Damn shame your car is 2000 miles away, I'd be very interested in buying it.....how come all the CA cars end up leaving CA? Oh well..you'll have many folks interested in it....

Jeff

Stay tuned for more of SoCal Vintage BMW
http://www.SoCalVintageBMW.com
BMW CCA Member #423513

David,

Such fun....going to the air suspension.....a different ride, but Citroens have all that aircraft enginnering.....you'll appreciate that I saw a mint CV11 Traction Avant tooling up the 101 north of Santa Barbara last month....lovely light blue. Damn shame your car is 2000 miles away, I'd be very interested in buying it.....how come all the CA cars end up leaving CA? Oh well..you'll have many folks interested in it....

Jeff

Stay tuned for more of SoCal Vintage BMW
http://www.SoCalVintageBMW.com
BMW CCA Member #423513