• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need locking gas cap key

ccr2002

I have a locking gas cap with the thicker flap that covers the keyhole...and do not have the key...

a local locksmith says he can make the key if i just knew what kind of blank to use...anyone know the codes/brand of these keys.

i did search and nothing definitive was offered...maybe ilco? taylor? but no codes.

thanks

ccr

1973 polaris/blue 2002tii 2763408

1973 3.0 CS ceylon/black 2240405

2000 G500

2002 Ferrari 456MGT

Guest Anonymous

Try TAYLOR LOCK CO. "65 V" blank. It fits perfectly...I had to round one of

the positioning grooves with a file for making it fit better. But the key

works fin. Pete

I went to the locksmith today and found out that Taylor key Co has been bought out recently by ILCO. the 63G and i presume 63V blanks have corresponding blanks by ILCO but they didn't carry them. Supposedly a large distribution center has them but they're not open til monday.\

at least the key profile looks like it will fit.

I found an online key source that lists both...the 63V looks like the perfect fit and the key "head" is round like mine was back in 84...which had the original key...the H62VG has a different head.

taylor 63V=ILCO 63V

taylor 63G=ILCO H62VG

so i think it is 63V

if anyone knows someone stocking old taylor keys let me know...

we should make a list of the key blank codes that work with each cap with a pic added to remove confusion and codes for the ignition and trunk

thanks everyone

ccr

2000 G500

2002 Ferrari 456MGT

So, none of the above key blanks fit into the gas cap. Anyone else have the old locking cap with a the thicker keyhole cover?

our local locksmith which the bmw dealer uses found a couple of "old dominion" keys, NLA, which fit into the key hole but are too long...he's trying to modify them to work....

if anyone knows the original blank key code that would be great...but if this works i'll let you know which one it is

ccr

2000 G500

2002 Ferrari 456MGT

• 11 years later...

I just posted some NOS steel Borkey 570 1/2 keys i found for sale in the classifieds and thought I would post the information here to live for those also looking for keys to a first generation locking gas cap.

My second official post but first contribution. New owner of a 1973 picked up a few weeks ago! Stoked to be a part of the community.

FINDING NOS STEEL GAS CAP KEYS

After hunting down a first generation locking gas cap with key I wanted to get a spare made. From previous posts here I found mixed information on the correct key code and where to find one. Mine appeared to be the original key with markings of Borkey 570 1/2. I eventually found a reference to it with Dominion BU2 also listed which is what other members have said is a key that fits! I'll post those other key codes and this information on a forum post also so we have this information for people in the future. Well, my local locksmith has been around since 1947. And hiding in the back was a ring of the same original steel Borkey keys! They wont cut them and dont recommend using steel keys. My local ACE Hardware cuts them though and do a great job. I don't need a ring full and so I thought I would offer them here for those of you hunting as I did. $10 shipped seems fair for such a rare key, I doubt I will find them again.

OTHER KEY CODES  - for those interested

This is the list of key codes I found that seems to be compatible for first generation locking gas cap. I know the Borkey 570 1/2 fits and others have said Dominion BU2 does also. 

BOERKEY 1095

BOERKEY 570

CEA BLA1

CHARLES BIRCH 306

DOMINION LOCK BU2

ERREBI BA3

ERREBI L1

ERREBI MMW1

HD BU2

ILCO BU2

JMA BL-1D

KIS OP40

KRAGA A23

LOTUS BAU2

MISTER MINIT 461

ORION BU10

RR BT1

SILCA BT1

bmwlockinggascapkey.jpg

firstgenerationbmwlockinggascapkey.jpg

firstgenerationbmwlockinggascap.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes, I have a Dominion BU2 which fits into my gas cap

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

11 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

This is the gas cap on my 67 1600 and I believe it to be original. Unfortunately I don't have a key. Any idea what key it would take? Thanks

fuel cap.jpg

Locking gas caps were strictly a BMW dealer and aftermarket accessory.  Yours appears to be similar to another locking cap pictured in a thread several (2?) years ago.  I’d bet that thread could get you closer to a replacement key!

Good luck, regards,

Steve

EDIT:  Here’s the thread and the 8th or so post (by 2002haus) has a photo of a similar gas cap, unfortunately with little or no additional information — there is a link in this thread to yet another old locking-gas-cap thread, which I did not pursue.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

FOLLOW UP

I acquired a Dominion Lock BU2 to verify if it fits into my gas cap. Well. It does not. I compared it next to the Borkey and it is reversed. See pictures. I went to Boerkey website and found keys that have both standard numbers as well as the 1/2 indication. This looks looks to be for the direction of the grooves in the key. 

Not sure why I have a 1/2 key and others have a DL BU2.

CUSTOM KEY (brass key)

As any locksmith with tell you using steel keys isnt the best for a lock. So Concord Lock made a custom key for me using an Ilco B1. You can see it next to the Borkey.

dominionlockbu2.jpg

dlbu2.jpg

ilcob1.jpg

boerkeyexample.gif