• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need locking gas cap key

ccr2002

On 11/5/2017 at 8:34 AM, Conserv said:

Locking gas caps were strictly a BMW dealer and aftermarket accessory.  Yours appears to be similar to another locking cap pictured in a thread several (2?) years ago.  I’d bet that thread could get you closer to a replacement key!

Good luck, regards,

Steve

EDIT:  Here’s the thread and the 8th or so post (by 2002haus) has a photo of a similar gas cap, unfortunately with little or no additional information — there is a link in this thread to yet another old locking-gas-cap thread, which I did not pursue.

On 11/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, 72pdx02 said:

This is the gas cap on my 67 1600 and I believe it to be original. Unfortunately I don't have a key. Any idea what key it would take? Thanks

fuel cap.jpg

I have found one of these! And it has a key! Made by Hama. The brass part in your cap is what locks the cap. The key will be inserted to turn the brass part and then removed unlocking the cap. When the cap is locked and brass pin in the cap will free turn. When the pin is removed it will stop spinning to allow for removal. Luckily you have the brass part. Now it would be just a matter of taking yours to a locksmith to have a key made.

I have found some other rare gas caps both locking and non locking. Working on doing a detailed post/article soon.

bmwhamagascap1.jpg

bmwhamagascap2.jpg

Here is a video of me taking the cap off the car and putting back on. Showing the brass pin being removed and the free spinning of the cap when locked. Also the black part on mine/silver on yours rotates to cover the key hole. It's a pretty rad cap for sure.

bmwhamalockinggascapvideo.mp4

Edited by hollowridge
missing words