• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i have forgotten (a 1st of many to come)

BLUNT

are there special nuts that secure the steering column to the firewall. i have 4 holding the brake booster support to the firewall but ive forgotten how this goes back together, anyone recall??

bkl001.jpg

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I'm down in Dalas at school, otherwise I'd go out and look at what ones I used. I think I looked in my big bucket of cad'ed bolts and found four short bolts and nuts.

Maybe Bill W. will chime in.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I'm down in Dalas at school, otherwise I'd go out and look at what ones I used. I think I looked in my big bucket of cad'ed bolts and found four short bolts and nuts.

Maybe Bill W. will chime in.

John

i must have something wrong then. the bracket that holds the brake booster has 4 studs that go thru the firewall with nuts on them. my steering column bracket has holes large enough to go over the nuts from the booster bracket. if you look closely at the pic you can see the space around the holes.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Blunt, I think I'm having a little brain fart. There are four studs (spot welded or pressed in) studs that do stick out of the booster assembly. As I remember there large flat washers and small lock washers that go under the nuts. This will give everything room to move around so the assembly process isn't too painfull. Looks to me your missing the large flat washers.

I think one or some of them has a flat on one side to clear the edge of the weld of the tube that the collumn goes into.

John

Yea, here's the pic. I think I was confusing it with LP and HP bleed air from the 8th and 14th stage compresor. UG, This ain't no Falcon.

John

post-70-13667569442774_thumb.png

I am I missing something? I can't see, looking at the Steering Column & Booster diagrams, how one mates up to the other.

But then, I drive a RHD model.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I am I missing something? I can't see, looking at the Steering Column & Booster diagrams, how one mates up to the other.

But then, I drive a RHD model.

I think it is a left hand drive thing, Les.

the sandwich trick is the right way, I just went out and looked. washers and nuts on the inside.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

comes through the bulk head, then the steering wheel stifiner slides down flush to the inside of the bulkhead and large washers, lock washers and I believe they are M6 nuts.

Finger tighten until you get everything lined up and in place, especially the pinch bolt and the nuts on the steering column flex disk. Do not tighten these until you preload the spring on the steering column.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Do not tighten these until you preload the spring on the steering column.

I was following along ok until we got to this part. What spring? I never had the steering column out of mine, only had the brake boost assembly out and pulled the bracket back on the shaft so I could tape off for painting. Maybe I didn't need to do this..

Additional point, I'm pretty sure these are grade 8.8 spec nuts.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

When you tighten things down, you will notice that you can press forward on the steering wheel and it move forward about an 1/8 of inch then spring back when you release pressure.

To take this movement out, have an assistant press forward on the wheel and hold it, while you tighten the two nuts on the steering column side of the steering coupler down buy the steering box.

This coupler I speak of connects the splined shaft from the steering box and the splined shaft of the steering column. The two pieces are joined by a small flex coupler.

After you tighten those two nuts, then tighten up the pinch bolt on the steering column under the dash. I may this part incorrect as I think about it. But this is the way I usually do it.

M6 is the metric size 8 is the grade. They are probably M6 grade 8s.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5