• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick panel speaker mounts

EricB

Check out these speaker mounts that the McGinnn brothers did. Matt posted these pics on his website today and they look pretty good. I was wondering if anyone has heard from H-Krix regarding his kick panel mounts. They sounded interesting and he seems to know a lot about stereos. What do people think of these.

post-812-13667569712864_thumb.jpg

post-812-1366756971385_thumb.jpg

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3

The mounts look great. I used an MDF spacer and fibre glass (because i dont have any metal working skills :-P ) and it turned out well. I then cut a hole in the carpet and put the speaker over the top and attached them through so they look flush. How are you planning on doing your carpet?

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Decided i should just post it up to illustrate what i meant ;-). Its a pretty simple thing to do, you just need to make sure the hole where the magnet will go is large enough to fit the magnet and there is enough depth to fit the speaker. The speakers i used are 6.5" and do not intrude much at all in the footwell.

That picture was taken with me just holding it in place before i mounted them properly.

Tom

post-134-13667569715668_thumb.jpg

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

speakers--they don't call that location a kick panel for nothing!

Mine are surface mount 4.5" coaxes...I took a 2x6 and cut it out on a bandsaw to match the shape of the speaker grille, then bored out the center with a hole saw and covered the wood with vinyl. I then fastened the wood base to the kick panel, and the speaker/grille to the wood base. Quite unobtrusive and good sound to boot.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don't think he has any plans to sell a kit or anything, but he would probably make them for you at an hourly rate. Check out his website or give him a call.

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1998 M3

The tweeters are mounted at the end of a cone shaped piece of metal that can be bolted on through the carpet. The carpet will be cut around the woofers. I was planning on painting both housings in the black crinkle coat that is used on valve covers. The grills that came with the speakers are pretty sturdy so I will use them as well. Hopefully, the whole thing will be very unobtrusive and hard to see.

1998 M3

Do you think it would be better if the tweeter was above and closer to the door relative to the midrange. That seems like the only other possibility. I thought you wanted the tweeters as far away as possible for better imaging.

1998 M3