• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Race/Track Car wheels and flares

IndyBMW

Getting my 'plan' formulated, and have a question concerning wheel offsets, spacing, etc.

First thing I'm doing is gonna order the "Group 2" flares, like these...

2002_grp2_composite.jpg

Obviously, they are pretty wide, and I want the wheels/tires to 'fill' it up.

I found these wheels, which seem perfect for me. What offset should I be looking at. They have offsets of 48,38,35,25,23,13,10,0,-3,-13,-15,-25, and sizes ranging from 15x6 - 15x10

workequip03.jpg

To be honest, I'm still trying to get used to the metric thing, so be gentle. Haha.

Thanks in Advance

1970 2002 O=00=O

well, the 'offset' is entirely dependant upon width-

generally speaking, you can have about 4" of rim inside

the hub flange.

This translates to a 6" rim with an et of 35 (ish) for bottlecaps,

a 7" rim at 25,

and an 8" rim at 13.

(these are just numbers we know usually work)

Of course, that's TOTALLY dependent on your tire.

I run a 13x6 with zero offset with 13x8 cantilevers...

Then you run into things like the inner fender, the tie rod end, and the front valence. And THAT depends a lot on ride height, camber settings...

well, you see how it goes...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have 13X8 rims with a 5 offset. My tires are 235/45/13 and they are very close to the rear trailing arm. Also in the front they are very close to the strut housing. I would guess at 1/4 inch at best in the rear and maybe 1/8 inch in the front. The other place you run into trouble is when you turn to full lock and the out side section of the tread rubs agenst the front valence. (not a problem with my setup) I'm going to need a st of 15's for regular use and will probablly use 225/50/15's and have to be carefull about rubbing the valence.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

On my GT3 car I run zero offset with 3/4 spacers on the front and 1" spacers on the rear in order to avoid hitting the strut or trailing arm. However, my car is lowered a lot and I run 9" wide cantilevered slicks. The slicks are over 10" wide at the sidewall and that's where the clearance problem occurs.

Are you planning on racing the car? Have you chosen a class and checked the rules. For example GT3 restricts you to 7" wheels.

Good Luck

Jeff

When I mean race, I don't really mean race in any sanctioned events. I bought this car so that my lovely wife of 10 years and I (after I get it done), can tour the countryside and drive it to one of the many road tracks around the US for 'track days'. A buddy of mine and myself went in his Z06 this year to Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta, etc and just put is rather trick vette on the track and 'hauled ass'.

So, I'm looking for things like that. I'm putting in a cage and all of the assorted safety equipment, just because we are going to take it to the track and 'beat on' it and I want us to be safe. Plus, (and I know this is sacriledge), I'm not going to 'restore' it in anyway. IF there is something made 'better' and cheaper by someone else other than BMW, I'll use it

I did the competitive motorsports thing with Rockcrawling (Jeep), and the more I got into it, the more expensive it got with little pay out. I'm not going back down that path again.

1970 2002 O=00=O

Watch out... if you plan to use this on a road-going car you better reinforce the heck out of the flares or they will crack. Even if you stiffen up your chassis with the cage and do it to full Grp-2 spec then you're flares will be paper thin and when they vibrate and flex you'll get stress cracks. It's unfortunate but life. If it's a track only car its less of a big deal but for "touring the countryside" as you say it may not be so cool to show up to a valet somewhere with paint chipping off

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

That's a good point. Ideally, I'd like to borrow my buddies english wheel and assorted other metal working things to duplicate the flares in steel, but I'll probably be 'too excited' and won't take the time to leave them off the car. Haha.

The guy that makes them though said that he could make them 'thinner', for track use (lighter) or thicker for normal street use. I think I'll go the thicker, and fab up some sort of supporting structures.

1970 2002 O=00=O

That's a good point. Ideally, I'd like to borrow my buddies english wheel and assorted other metal working things to duplicate the flares in steel, but I'll probably be 'too excited' and won't take the time to leave them off the car. Haha.

The guy that makes them though said that he could make them 'thinner', for track use (lighter) or thicker for normal street use. I think I'll go the thicker, and fab up some sort of supporting structures.

Sorry to stray your thread off track from tires, etc.

Take a look at a pickup's wheel well sometime. Notice that they have those little metal bars that support the bottom of the fender lips from the frame? That's what may be the best help. They will crack where the fiberglass/metal joints are so you need to stiffen the fiberglass any way you can. Also another good thing you could do if you know the guy is to have him core the flares. You can buy honeycomb core like this:

http://www.versacoreindustrial.com/Applications/body_applications.html

and lay up two layers of 8ounce cloth, one layer of 3mm or 5mm core and one layer of 6 or 8ounce cloth on the inside. That'll get you a fender that's as tough as nails. You can rivet or bolt right up to it. Just a suggestion. Also the other thing is the prep work - MUCH better to sand the fiberglass fair than to fill with brittle fillers like bondo. If you overbuild so fles isn't an issue then it's different but if there will be flex like a normal car, find paints and fillers that are not so brittle to avoid cracking for a little longer.

Wheels are great! wanna buy me a pair?

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Wheels are great! wanna buy me a pair?

Good point. I was thinking along the same line with the pickup type stuff. I'll have to see when I get it.

A Pair? My '02 has 4 wheels, you must have some special version. LOL

Anyway, so what would you guys recommend for backspace/width. If a 15x7 will fit under 'stock' flares (or a little fender rolling), I'm thinking a 15x10 in the back. What backspace though? (From those listed).

I was thinking 15x8, 8.5 or 9 in the front.

Thoughts?

1970 2002 O=00=O