• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bearing removal and install.....how?

themoose

How do you get the rear wheel bearings out once you have the stub axle out? I finally got the whole rear end torn apart and that's the last thing left before everything goes to powder coat. Do I need to take it to a shop and have them pressed out or can I do it myself? Any help would be appreciated!

'74 2002 Megasquirted!

How do you get the rear wheel bearings out once you have the stub axle out? I finally got the whole rear end torn apart and that's the last thing left before everything goes to powder coat. Do I need to take it to a shop and have them pressed out or can I do it myself? Any help would be appreciated!

If you're not going to re-use them you should be able to persuade them out with a BFH and a punch, chisel or something strong. They will come out if you just work around the edges. It is much easier to get them done at a shop with a press though.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

you DO NOT need a BFH to remove those bearings. you DO need a good size (1/2-5/8 dia) brass, teflon, or PVC drift to bang them out with a normal sized hammer or ball pein. a few well placed FIRM blows (don't worry) will do it. i've inspected my bearings under a stereoscope after removal and they looked fine, no dimples, scoring or spalls. reinstall (only after thoroughly cleaning and inspecting and regreasing) using a 1.5inch PVC coupling as an insertion tool to bang against the outer race. works great.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Use the brass drift and a 3 lb hammer.

The small ones actually do more damage 'cause ya gotta

dink- dink- dink a LOT-

and some cars have pretty tight bearings.

If you can find a nylon/UHMW drift that will work,

that would be awesome.

Hit it!

Toby

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL