• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

winstonj, I hope you don't take this the wrong way

norm

Sometimes your questions expose yourself to being a little bit green. One day your going to forge your own crank, the next you're on the phone with ROSS ordering pistons without knowing what head you have. On the otherhand, you seem to grasp the vocabulary of a machine shop. Please give me a little more background on yourself. I love your effort, but are you just "bench racing"? Here is an example from your last post:

One - no need for anything else currently. Does an oil pump require another belt provision?

winstonj- the oil pump is internal and turned by a chain.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I have way too much to learn myself. There are those who have forgotten more then you and I will ever experience!!!

Norm

After being a member of this forum for almost six months, I realize that some people are just assholes and like to stir up shit for no reason and to see what kind of response they can get out of somebody. I just replied to one five minutes ago and was totally unnecessary.

I think what really matters is when people you don't even know ask for your car by name. And then you feel the need to create mechandise to commemorate your car and everybody can own a piece of it. What matters the most is when you figure out something about your car and can't wait to tell other people about it so it can help them in the future and not make some of the same mistakes as you have previously. And yee, I've made alot of mistakes with Karl, but I don't think it's fair to keep some of the things I've done to myself, there's no benefit in that. I don't target no one on here, but some of ya'll need to sit back and chill. Did any of you create the 2002? I don't think so, but if you think you have all the answers, by all means, be my guest.

What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

i have sat on the sidelines during many of his posts and gleaned info i didn't know. i especially enjoyed the threads relating to S14 stroker M10s.

keep asking the "ignorant" questions. there's enough knowledge to be passed along to keep your posts of value to the likes of people like me.

in fact, perhaps a compilation of data could be assembled on various topics and the tidbits validated by proxy as Otis is toying with in his Laws thread.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Sometimes your questions expose yourself to being a little bit green. One day your going to forge your own crank, the next you're on the phone with ROSS ordering pistons without knowing what head you have. On the otherhand, you seem to grasp the vocabulary of a machine shop. Please give me a little more background on yourself. I love your effort, but are you just "bench racing"? Here is an example from your last post:

One - no need for anything else currently. Does an oil pump require another belt provision?

winstonj- the oil pump is internal and turned by a chain.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I have way too much to learn myself. There are those who have forgotten more then you and I will ever experience!!!

Norm

Hey norm,

No offense taken at all... I just read BLUNT's post to Biscut about how things can be misinterpreted... I don't own a race car but I have owned many cars, own 3 2002's, have rebuilt (stock) M10, M20, VW/Audi 16V 4-cyl, 10V 5-cyl and 20V 5-cyl motors. I've raced in a pretty ghetto formula 4 1/4 mile circle track (3-races till I hit the wall for a total loss) but that was when I was 16. I'm now an older much wiser, mature - 27.

I have to give myself credit that was a good one - belt driven oil pump...

What I meant was an accusump or externally driven oil pump. I would like to have the provisions to add on an external pump/accusump at a later date. I'm still toying with the idea of supercharging but that would take a custom pulley. Rather than use JB Weld I want to weld a bead around a pulley and have that milled down so it's all metal. I don't want to go through all that effort just to figure out that I'm screwed and need an extra belt provision.

Sorry for my confusing, but funny post. I will edit it but leave the first text so you can all still chuckle. OH and Norm... It took you how long to figure out that I'm this green????? I know just barely enough to get into some SERIOUS trouble....

Best,

TJW

EDIT: In all seriousness... if anyone has a problem and wants to take this outside (personal attacks forum) I'll be waiting.... Haha

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I think you both handled this with respect, maturity, humour and class! I could see how this could have been misinterpreted a thousand different ways (reason for my silly pictures). I think it is a lesson to the group (myself included) to remain civil in these discussions.

I often wonder how sensitive and insecure people are about any criticisms, jokes or replies. I guess being in a bodyshop enviroment almost 24/7 has taught me how to take it and dish it out, and forget about it in five minutes. No big deal, life goes on, I don't take it too seriously anymore. I tell guys they are fat and ugly, they tell me I am gay and a wetback, we both joke, laugh and carry on, live and go back to work. Somehow we don't feel the need to have the last word or make it about who is right or wrong.

I am finished with my editorial, thanks for listening you all!

Im glad you understood that I was not attacking you personally. I was worried that I would have to ban myself for three months for being an ass. The FAQ is a big part of my daily routine.

Norm

FAQ Member # 91

Guest Anonymous

Norm

Hi Norm,

One can go back and read my interaction with WinstonJ when he first came on board, I was really frustrated as he was asking many questions over and over again - and in some cases was soliciting help, yet would no heed the advice of others.

Now I know it is enthusiam!

At the very least he encourages discussion which is great and most of his posts are on topic and "mechanical" in nature which is more so then I can say about others here.

Tom may be a bit green, but he is a good guy who is not afraid to challenge what "we all know".

Cheers,

Anthony Kalcounis

I think you both handled this with respect, maturity, humour and class! I could see how this could have been misinterpreted a thousand different ways (reason for my silly pictures). I think it is a lesson to the group (myself included) to remain civil in these discussions.

blimey, what a poof!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I tell guys they are fat and ugly, they tell me I am gay and a wetback, we both joke, laugh and carry on, live and go back to work.

We were joking? I thought we were having a serious fight. Opps. My bad! But, I have since gone on a diet, so now I'm just ugly!!!

Im glad you understood that I was not attacking you personally. I was worried that I would have to ban myself for three months for being an ass. The FAQ is a big part of my daily routine.

Norm

If you hadn't noticed... mine too! If I dissapear for a while it's only because they are making me earn my pay now... something about a promotion... more responsibility... etc. I'd rather go back to the good old days when Delia comments on my 25+ posts but I guess I gotta pay for 02 parts somehow!

EDIT: I'm also the oldest of four... they would commend anyone for dishing it out to me.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Tom, what are your plans for your motor. What parts do you have and what parts do you still need to buy? I remember something about a strocker motor. Maybe you're planning to build what I have done. I took an s14 block which gave 2.3 liters and then found an Evo s14 crankshaft to push the final cc to 2.5. I used M10 rods and had Ross manufacture 10.5:1 compression pistons. For the head, I used an E12 with a 304 cam, race prep rockers with double springs. The front cover was machined to fit an oil seal from a m10 pulley. There is one oil passage that needed to be blocked in the block itself. A M10 head bolts right on top of a s14 block. I had to change the oil pump around alittle to use the m10 oil pan. This motor is super strong and has been very reliable. Lots of good torque and revs up to 7k no problem. The carbs a dcoe 48.

Norm