• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 2002 question

MitchellB

hi folks, i'm a newbie...in fact, i don't yet own a 2002 but i'm working on it. i've wanted one since the early 80's when i first drove a friend's '76. anyway, i'm finally in a position to own one and have driven several local (portland, or) 2002's - some with upgrades and others mostly original. i've found a '71 one state away that's in really amazing original condition. no known rust issues, interior in very good condition. mechanically, the car had an engine rebuild about 10K miles ago and the previous owner was very meticulous about maintaining the car. i spoke to the bmw mechanic that serviced it and he felt it was a great car. i've been reading the faq for weeks now and find that not only am i inspired by the project blogs as well as the daily posts but i'm also a little bit intimidated by the amazing wealth of knowledge that you folks seem to possess. this '71's mechanic has told me that working on a 2002 is as simple as working on a bicycle. if that's true then i'm in great shape since i cycle and tune my own bike. i've also done basic tune up procedures on my cars but wonder if i've got what it takes to own and maintain a 2002.

so i'm hoping for some moral support. any thoughts or comments about your first 2002 experience would be appreciated. thanks. mitch

i got my start with mechanics working on my own bicycles as a kid. if you've done the same, you are ahead of the game. if you've found a very nice original condition 02 that hasn't been modified extensively, count yourself fortunate.

as you've read posts there's certain recurring themes and a search of archives is helpful.

consider this your 'go get 'em' pep-talk. a cared for 02 is a wonderful thing to have. original paint is helpful in assessing the true condition of the car and not be seduced by one with issues hidden beneath glossy new paint.

have fun. if you have a place to care and nuture this car you won't be disappointed. if you have to park it on the sidewalk on a busy street it will likely rebell against you.

i myself am partial to the 6-fuse cars.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Go for it Mitch!

But just remember, even though the 02 is a simple machine, don't try to put it up on your Park repair stand. It ain't gonna work. I don't know if a Pedro's stand will work any better.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

My buying story is the polar opposite of yours. I wasn't even considering an '02 but just looking at BMWs in general because I'm jealous of my wife's E46.

I went to look at a car that had been in the same family for all but two years of the cars life. It happened to be an '02. My first impression was to not buy. The car was definately not in pristine condition and the seller was not going to go down on the price.

But I decided to test drive the darn thing and it won me over. I couldn't believe the way the car drove and I still can't. I just got back from a drive in fact to pick up some Redline MTL and Hypoid lube.

So far it has been easy to work on. I think I lucked into a great car by following my feelings.

Go for the '71. Pull the trigger. (Like I'm one to give advice).

i just got my real first 02. ive owned one as a project for a few years but it didnt run when i got it so ive never driven it. but this one i just got is a lot of fun. its amazing how much fun so little hp can be. im just starting to really trust it and starting to push it. i love the simplicity and the "odd" factor. lots of people dig it even though its missing a bunch of trim and all faded out. its solid though

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Go for it! I knew nothing about cars until last August when I bought my first 02. I am only 24 years old and have no prior car knowledge (just understanding). Since last August I have taught myself to remove and reinstall a motor, fix electronics, replace suspension components, and tomorrow I will be installing a homegrown fuel injection system. Trust yourself and do the research! I spend 1/4th of my time in the shop and the rest on this message board. I hope our support helps.

See my blog below for my progress.

forum-sig.gif