• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The cars we sold (and wish we hadn't)...

72touring

I miss my '85 GTI I drove in college. We bought it from a friend of my dad's (who was the original owner). 8v, C/R 5-speed, black. Just a sweet, smooth car that was peppy, got great gas mileage and handled wonderfully. I used to love driving it through the Kentucky River gorge to take the disk with the college newspaper on it to the printer each week. It had some fuel-injection issues, but nothing too major.

My dad had bought it for me, and before I got married I decided my wife-to-be needed a reliable, lower mileage car to drive the longer distance to work, so we sold the GTI. My folks used the money to buy a riding lawnmower. I took out a small loan and bought a... (shudder) Plymouth Acclaim. I'm usually successful at repressing that whole chain of memories.

A few years ago, I was looking for a beater and on a whim called up the guy we sold the GTI to. He still had it but it was off the road because fourth gear went out on the tranny. He said he'd sell it for what was a pretty reasonable price for a clean, stock A2 GTI (which are getting hard to find). I looked around but didn't find a transmission cheap nearby, so I passed. Kinda wish I'd gone for it, though.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Al

The Canuck mobiles were all together 2 weeks ago :)

Sandy says hello.

I'm not sure why Sandy never made it to the list of cars I miss. Drove her for almost 4 years, loved her to death, but I don't really miss her. I guess I know she's well loved now, and that's enough. 533i I never owned long enough to become attached to, and the last time I drove it, it left me on a flat deck!

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

anyway) - quite a few I miss, but only a few I really should've held on to:

* 1955 VW/Rometsch "Beeskow" aluminum body, suicide door coupe (found out several years after selling it with front end damage that it may have been one of two built - probably worth a ton of $$ now)

* 1955 Volvo 444 2 door station wagon

* 1959 Porsche 356 A sunroof coupe (originally Miesen blue over red, accessory vent wings, euro 4 band signal seeking radio, headlight grills & luggage rack, matching # Oregon car)

* 1961 Porsche 356 T5 B Normal Roadster (vin 89445 - Fijord green over tan, matching # CA car)

* 1973 1/2 Porsche 911 T (cis) Targa (vin 9113112111 - Tangerine orange over black & tan, a/c, two owner original)

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

my first car ive ever had left about a month ago. Had it for over 3 years and me and her shared some damn good times.IMG_0057-1.jpgP1260015.jpg my only problem was a whacked out flex discflexdisc.jpg

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on

Al

The Canuck mobiles were all together 2 weeks ago :)

Sandy says hello.

I'm not sure why Sandy never made it to the list of cars I miss. Drove her for almost 4 years, loved her to death, but I don't really miss her. I guess I know she's well loved now, and that's enough. 533i I never owned long enough to become attached to, and the last time I drove it, it left me on a flat deck!

Al

Man, I know how that is, the 533i and I got into it downtown calgary. Loose electrical. I need to get an OEM battery + cable sometime. :) and do some soldering of connectors.

I drove the 528e (family car) since 1997, then it was mine since 2003, I dont miss it at all, sits in my friend's field, he just picked some stuff off it for the 633.

Man, I miss sandy when she was parked 700km away! I just love that 02.