• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP..Ign. Switch jammed. I am stuck at work.

InkaSteve

Did stupid thing. Accidentally used wrong key in ignition. Started!! but jammed turning it off. Was able to pull wrong key out but switched jammed just short of locking the steering column. How easy is it to remove the switch?? My Haynes is at home. Immediate advise would be appreciated. Removed everything surrounding the switch, but don't know what to do now. Time is of the essence.

Thanks in advance for quick response.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

If your column is not locked and the switch is exposed you can hot wire it to get home. I don't know what color wires you need to cross. I used a test light to figure it out when I had to hotwire my 69.

good luck,

Brad

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

If you just need to start the car you can remove the actual electrical part of the switch. Look at the very back of the lock cylinder where all of the wires go in and you will see 2 small slotted screws. Remove those and the back portion of the switch will come off. You can can then use a screwdriver or similar object to turn the plastic switch. I am sure all of my terms are incorrect, but once you remove those two screws you will see what I am talking about. I had the same problem with my ignition switch jamming.

If you just need to start the car you can remove the actual electrical part of the switch. Look at the very back of the lock cylinder where all of the wires go in and you will see 2 small slotted screws. Remove those and the back portion of the switch will come off. You can can then use a screwdriver or similar object to turn the plastic switch. I am sure all of my terms are incorrect, but once you remove those two screws you will see what I am talking about. I had the same problem with my ignition switch jamming.

Thanks, Brad, and especially Dave, I owe you "big time".

Column was still unlocked, pulled switch off the back. Success....!! Now I can use the "evil" wrong key and turn the switch. I will worry about the lock itself when I get home. As of now, I can drive anywhere I want, just have to lock the car when I stop.

Thanks mucho to all. Again, the FAQ saves another. Couldn't do it without all of you.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Glad I could help. I also have an article on how to repair the lock cylinder. If you are interested email and I will send you a copy. I just went through the same problems with my 69 and the faq was a huge help. I am glad I could return the favor.

I was able to remove the tumblers from the lock on my '68 1600 and put it back together. Any flat tool would start it then. The best part - nobody knows this but you. I had a friend who's '56 VW key was broken off in the switch. He kept a screwdriver sitting between the seats and drove it like that for many years with no problems.

-Jerry

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I was able to remove the tumblers from the lock on my '68 1600 and put it back together. Any flat tool would start it then. The best part - nobody knows this but you. I had a friend who's '56 VW key was broken off in the switch. He kept a screwdriver sitting between the seats and drove it like that for many years with no problems.

-Jerry

i pulled mine apart and re-keyed it to a blank- never need to have a key cut again. shhhhhh