• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was just wondering for those of you have. . .

G

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I intentionally restored mine less than perfectly (sounds better than saying I'm not very skilled at restoration work) so that it wouldn't bother me driving my car in whatever conditions came my way.

On the other hand I'd have to be pretty desperate to drive it in snow, and I avoid rain when possible just to not risk some other driver plowing into me.

02andM5.jpg

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I believe Stella's first drive involved rainy circumstances.

I prefer to keep my car out of the rain as well, if I can, but sometimes it can't be avoided. Then you get to spend quality time getting it back in order!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

restoration.

It is easy to say they should be driven in rain or whatever, but when you realize you spent more than you should and probably can never do that level of restoration again, driving in the rain makes you think about it and ask the question you did.

I too just went through a "too much" retoration. My solution is to drive my other 2002 which is less than pristine and is built to drive.

Your car appears to be very nice, so your desire to keep it that way is understandable. There are those that post on this board that drive their cars very little and that is ok by me. It is their decision. I know some 02 owners that really have not done full out restorations and still drive their cars very little and do not show up at any local events. What bothers me is some garage queen owners talk like they drive their cars often when in fact, that is not really the case. If you want a garage queen, have one and live up to it.

I look at it this way, a racer does everything he can to get his car to be the fastest. If a person wants a show car, they to have the right to do everything they can to make it a show car including keeping it out of the rain and traffic. Just be honest about it to yourself and everyone else.

Do what makes you happy.

PS. Matthew Cervi did a very nice job on his car, I would not say he did anything less than perfect. I know he drives it too.

6Nov0601.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

2002s are the original Ultimate DRIVING Machine (not garage machine, not show machine.) Drive 'em! Yeah, take good care of 'em - and try to avoid rain/snow/mud/etc. when you can. I assume folks restore them to ensure they'll last longer, and be a better car mechanically and cosmetically - so they can be used and enjoyed. Not to be statues, heirlooms, or just compliment-seekers or trophy-earners.

Mine has a ton of money invested in it - to make it a better machine for me to enjoy and DRIVE. It's not a 'full-resto' but it's in very good shape, with a lot of personal mods/enhancements to suit my interests/pleasure. It's also my daily driver. I'll take another car to work when I can if it's snowing, or very nasty rain - but when I drive it, I end up getting caught in snow & rain sometimes anyway. Afterwards, I just try to clean it up, put more wax and such to protect it as best I can to keep it nice. I like a clean car, a aesthetically pleasing car, a mechanically sound and great handling, performance car, and a classic car - but one I can drive as much as possible!

My 02 cents...

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

If one invests a significant amount of time and $ into a top quality restoration then who can honestly criticize if it doesn't get driven often. And especially one that is taken all over the place and shared with our little community for their enjoyment. (Not to mention the pride one gets when completing such a project, who wants it to get nailed by a SUV!!!!)

Bill, you also have one that is nearly top notch, just not as much invested in it, that you drive rain or shine (now how do I know that? :) so I don't think anyone will complain if the touring gets a little pampering.

I think we are all like Matt, not really eager to drive in the snow and salt environs that exist in the northern climates. And at some point, the value of our cars have to dictate that we use discretion. I certainly do not see that most of us have these cars that are truly driven on a daily basis anyway.

My 02 cents worth

Mike

If its actually raining, I'll drive something else unless I'm going to a BMW event, then I probably drive it anyway. If it MIGHT rain but I want to drive the 02, I do. The only thing I really avoid is salt or road chemicals. I even manage some milage during winter, as long as its rained enough since the last snow to rinse the salt off the street. that probably doesn't work for you in Canada, though.

I've done about 6,000 mi each year since a fairly complete restoration. Its' hardly a daily driver, but I still manage to put a fair amount of miles on it. Drive it, Enjoy it. What the heck else is it good for? Just be sensable and take care of it. If you do get it exposed to salt, make sure it gets a complet wash, including/especialy the undercarriage.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

All the big bucks you've "invested" probably isn't enough to buy a new Pontiac or Chevrolet anyway so just drive it... You wouldn't hesitate if it was one of those. Makes no sense to leave it to your snotnosed kids when you die, they won't appreciate it and will drive it in the rain anyway. Makes even less sense to save it for the guy who buys it from you for a quarter of what you have in it.

On the other hand if you are the type that gets hit by SUVs all the time then you should probably leave the 02 home on those days...

Tom

Something always leaks.

I don't have the $$$ to overdo a restoration. Honest!

Ding ding ding. Winnah.

I have about 3600$ in mine so far, all done on the cheep ( well most of it ) I figure about another 2000$ ( and a shitload of my hours ) will put the car where I want it. It'll be a daily ( and is now ). I need to do suspension bushings, balljoints and camber plates, Then a 5 speed and turbo it, done.

Don't see the point in having a car you don't drive. Hell my pops put 5k miles on his 54 Vett last year.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

I will not deliberatly drive my '02 or my Camaro in the rain. If it does rain while i'm out on a drive, so be it. I will not even wash these cars. I just spray detail them. I bought a e30 m3 for a daily driver.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

The colors are just perfect!

About driving a restored car. You can debate both sides to eternity. It is really a personal choice. You invest so much time and money, that you feel guilty "abusing" it, and yet you feel guilty not driving it enough.

It is a huge dichotomy, since cars primarily intend is to be on the road, yet some are just beautiful just to look at. Form vs function again, the never ending dilema. I think, the answer is to do whatever brings you the most pleasure, in my case I try to achieve a healthy balance.

FAQ Member # 91

All the big bucks you've "invested" probably isn't enough to buy a new Pontiac or Chevrolet anyway so just drive it... You wouldn't hesitate if it was one of those. Makes no sense to leave it to your snotnosed kids when you die, they won't appreciate it and will drive it in the rain anyway. Makes even less sense to save it for the guy who buys it from you for a quarter of what you have in it.

On the other hand if you are the type that gets hit by SUVs all the time then you should probably leave the 02 home on those days...

Tom nailed it.

Not that I face this kind of dilemma or anything. I barely have any paint left on mine.

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com