• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 new pictures

JayG

Esty,

Does donating a not insignificant amount of money to the Humane Society last year qualify me for decent human status? I donated most of it to help the animals left in the flood waters around your state, no less. But whatever, you can think whatever you want about me. Homeless shelter? Nope, not my bag. Honestly, I prefer to help homeless animals to homeless humans.

And you call ME pompous?!?!?! Announcing to the world that you could buy and sell me, without ever seeing what I actually own, or how much money I make. Last time I saw the Forbes 400, there wasn't a single LaCroix on the list. I would imagine you would have to be, in order to make an ignorant statement like that. Get real, lady.

And calling me a label hound? Oh yeah, for sure, thats me. That's why I have a Volvo, and a bunch of old BMW's. That's why I'm wearing my $11 hoody to the gym, along with my $59 Saucony shoes. Oh wait, I do own Nike shorts, so I'm going to hell now. Get a grip on reality, or at least get back on your meds.

Back on subject, PLEASE show me a decent, reputable painter who shoots Kirker paint on a daily basis. As for them being in business longer than any other paint company in the US? Who cares!? Doesn't mean they actually make a good product. Doesn't even have to mean they started out as a paint company. Or maybe they did, but they made house paint, or some marine coating. Length of time in business doesn't mean shit. How come I've never seen it at a trade show, in a parts house, paint supplier catalogue, or a single body shop? Oh, final note on paint. Please, don't assume I know nothing about paint. I am not a paint engineer(and either are you), but I spent MUCH time researching paint for my client's cars, and my own cars, before choosing a line to use. I had a very long meeting with, and even attended a seminar held by a local paint supplier. They carry many brands, BTW, not just ICI. Also, I learned a helluva lot about body and paint work after my last painter closed up shop and left the country. There's an interesting story behind that, in the archives somewhere. Jay, very sorry for spoiling your thread.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Esty,

Does donating a not insignificant amount of money to the Humane Society last year qualify me for decent human status?

Al

no...you're still a just a pompous, deadbeat piece of crap that likes animals

i never mention'd forbes, let's stay on topic...i wouldn't want to be talk'd about in a glossy magizine, i'd feel ashamed

and just an ignorant, uniformed observation...maybe someone else will pick up on it too...if biz is so good larson, why not hire enough people to get the work done and an accountant to let you know when you have invoices and bills that need to be paid...and a girl to answer your phone and badger you until you return the calls....

either you're careless, reckless, are a deadbeat or you're just blowing more smoke from your ass about how great business is....or you're a pisspoor manager...that doesn't know how to manage his business and financial affairs..maybe both

either way, it doesn't effect me

i'll give you the last fart larson...i'm bored with you now

Esty Esty Esty,

Don't you remember when I posted a classified ad, looking for some help in the shop? I'm pretty sure you attacked me for it. If you can find me GOOD, QUALIFIED people to come and work for me, please send them my way. I've fired 2 people this year, and several more couldn't hack it, and quit. In fact, I'm down another trimmer right now, which is really tough. Hiring enough people is the easy part, hiring GOOD people is hard. I already have a book keeper, so I'm covered there.

Missing a key point here though. Business is good yes, but I am hardly a rich man. I am a small business owner, and I live a tidy life, but it's modest. There are few things I want for in life, but having a solid staff would be a nice start. After that, maybe I could work less than 70 hours a week, and take an annual vacation. My needs are modest, and I'm hardly pompous.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

I'd like to know more details, too. Mainly what kind of gun, and what kind of paint you used. I'm interested in doing the same thing eventually, so I'll take any advice I can get from anyone who's painted a car in their garage!

i can tell you what NOT to do.

it wasn't till AFTER i finished painting my car and being somewhat less than thrilled with the outcome that the guys in the paint department where i work SHOWED me how to tune a gun for spray pattern and volume and more importantly, how to glide the gun over the surface in a wonderfully smooth, predictable pattern, going both across and up and down.

after the demonstration, i threw my hands in the air exasperated and asked "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU SHARE THIS WITH ME BEFORE?????"

Their Response:

"Well, you asked so many questions, but not this one, that we thought you knew....."

WTF.....

anyhow, it's really NOT rocket science, but in hindsight, i wish i had bought one of those "how to paint your car" videos. Even though i feel i'm quite literate when it comes to the english language. seeing would be better in this instance.

and yes, the prep work is 98% of the job. actually spraying is the last 2%

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

jerry, i laughed but was laughing with you, not at you....fortunately, i sprayed more than a gal of paint, with the gun i used, on everything from old car panels to old refrigerators, etc until i knew how the gun operated and how to walk with the gun before i even considered looking at my car

if i could tell a new painter one thing that would be key in their success, it'd be practice..practice..practice

it isn't hard but requires much nerve and a willingness to learn as much as possible before even trying

it IS laughable.

i was in a desperate hurry to get this car painted before the temperature dropped. i thought about stopping before i put the clearcoat on (wish i had in hindsight), but i couldn't be sure i'd get another weekend of warmish weather. so the clearcoat was sprayed and that sealed my fate, so to speak/type.

i have yet to polish it out so there's still hope. it just looks more like i 'stained' the car in some places. kinda like a piece of furniture i tell myself.

at least this way i'll be much less inclined to pamper this car and can always try again some other time. my main concern is covered, and that is RUST protection.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Hey Jerry,

You've got the right idea/attitude. At this point, the body work is done, car is straight, rust free, sealed up, and probably looks great from several feet out. If you feel so inclined down the road, you can always have it sanded down and reshot again. At least the hard part is done.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

Five years st? Let's see how your award winning PJ is 32 years down the road. After all, aren't your PJs better than factory jobs with booties?

you have a great point there mr....we don't ever know what the future holds...

i doubt i ever said what i did was better than a factory paint job but i'll re-read to see if i said that

LOL at this thread.

I used a 26 gallon compressor, an old gravity feed gun and some exterior enamel thinned with acetone. I did, no joke, a month of prepping getting rid of the rust.

The paint is on thick and and its meant for outdoor furniture so it'll last a while. There are some other cars with the same style job around here and it looks fine even after time. As far as how it looks in 5 years? Who cares? Its a toy, I get to paint it again.

'91 Mitsu Galant VR-4 #1439/2000 + '76 2002 Laguna Seca Blue-ish 4 speed. Hip to be square.

2002galantsigdi7.jpg

The paint is on thick and and its meant for outdoor furniture so it'll last a while. There are some other cars with the same style job around here and it looks fine even after time. As far as how it looks in 5 years? Who cares? Its a toy, I get to paint it again.

This is kind of the attitude I have in wanting to paint it myself. Will it look as good as if I paid someone (even a cheap place) to paint it? Nope. In 5 years will it need to be repainted? Quite likely.

It also comes down to me wanting to fix all the rust issues with the car myself. If I end up stripping it, fixing the rust, and then having to prime and seal the repaired parts as I go (to prevent new rust), then I figure I'll just go ahead and finish the job.

According to Mobile Traditions, the car was originally Sahara. It's now white. I'm not sure if it's the "correct" BMW white or not. I also don't know yet if it was put on over the factory paint, or if the car has been stripped before. We'll find out once I start welding up the rust holes.

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

I'm in Atlanta so the altitude is pretty low. I don't see what the big deal colorwise is, pick a color and run with it. Doesn't have to be factory, if you're a purist you shouldn't be painting the car yourself anyway. =)

'91 Mitsu Galant VR-4 #1439/2000 + '76 2002 Laguna Seca Blue-ish 4 speed. Hip to be square.

2002galantsigdi7.jpg