• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check this PA tii for sale. No snorkel yet S/N is not a tii#

HarryPR

Saw this sad car up for auction :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-1971-BWM-2002-tii-PARTS-CAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42601QQihZ003QQitemZ130049871307QQrdZ1

Looks to be a real tii (no snorkel, brackets for air cleaner, etc.) yet the s/n looks to be from a 1969 or so regular '02.

Anybody in PA want to save it? John Weese, this could be your next project!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Ha! I just noticed your post Harry.

Nah, not even I want to tackle that one! :-) It's a shame seeing an '02 in that condition. If the guy's reserve is low enough, maybe someone will save it (for parts at least). Mystery car to me...doesn't look like a tii, but definitely has the tii engine and no snorkel as you pointed out. Doesn't appear to have the fuel filter mounted left of the radiator like a stock tii, although there is a fuel filter in there. tii emblen on rear panel. It's not a Euro model....would be interesting to get the VIN off the engine.

Someone should mail the seller to ask what the engine VIN is..that might shed some light on this.

Polaris is fairly rare in an early tii as I recall.

Lot's of work there...

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Check the color behind the instrument cluster, where the trunk liner is pulled up, and where the rear panel trim is removed. I swear I've seen this car before. Chadds Ford is near me and the seller has "Josh" in his handle. I wonder if this one is from the fabled Bill Anderson stash?

If your life is dull, perhaps your car is too new and you're not driving far enough...

1969 1600 florida (Moonglow)

1968 2002s vins go from 1660003 thru 1664491

Possible engine and nose transplant??

it'd have to be more than a nose transplant cuz it's got 12 fuses.

i think it's real. could be a mistaken VIN reading.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

as best as I've been able to figure, the first series 69 VINs began with 1662758. US 68 '02s were only produced for about six months (Feb-Aug 68) and the factory said about 2800 were made...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It does look very accurate in the pics to be a Tii....as said, no snorkle, air cleaner mounts in place, it has the Tii brake booster (you can just see the tip of the master cylinder in one of the pics...take note how close it is to the battery tray...which is typical with a tii), 12 fuse box. I wonder if it is a fake or did someone do some VIN switching? There are a host of reasons to switch VINs, from title issues and emission issues, to theft or insurance fraud. Who knows...I would definitely go and look at this car in person. You can then check to see if it has boxed trailing arms, proper tii gas tank with separate fuel level sender, fuel pump mounted above pass side half shaft, etc....At any rate, it certainly is a worth wild parts car....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

I wrote the seller about the VIN discrepancy. It seems the vin has been changed somewhere along the line. Read his explanation. Buyer beware, although I'm inclined to believe this is a tii transplant into a regular body. That doesn't explain the missing snorkel though...

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

I believe the whole car is a real Tii. Only the VIN is wrong. Why? Perhaps because the Tii has been stolen a few decades ago and the VIN replaced. The one that is riveted is easy to change. A kid can do it. The stamped number requires a little more practice to replace but is easy to check. Most of the time, only a small section has been cut from a legit car, and welded onto the not-so clean one. Even if looked at from the top, the section looks smooth and legit, just slide your fingers underneath and you shall feel a bead of weld. Even if grinded smooth, you still feel it as it is hard to reach with a grinder.

In the past 10 years, I have seen several of those not-too legit cars.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.