• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blacked out trim...opinions??

70roundtail02

I was under the impression that the trim was just pot metal and not aluminum.

If it was aluminum you could get it anodized which would look as good as its going to look.

The highest quality finish for the pot metal would be to have them re-chromed with black (or any other color) but this avenue would be a bit spendy.

If the chrome is cloudy you can usually bring it back (even from nearly dead) with #0000 steel wool, on the other hand you can also knock it down with some coarse steel wool and give it that brushed look.

I personally do not like the blacked out trim unless the car is black, I saw a '64 Lincoln with suicide doors that was triple black with black chrome trim once and it was quite possibly the baddest custom I have ever seen.

Best of luck.

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

I'm currently doing this to my car. All aluminum trim on out rides was originally anodized, so it has to be re-anodized in order to get that nice, shiny look.

Don't try polishing an anodized piece of aluminum with a buffing wheel. It will look like crappy orangepeel paint.

I had all my pieces sandblasted, painted with etching primer, then professionally shot at a body shop. The only parts that will be left chrome are the door handles and front turn signals.

I think it looks great, but I have a dark silver car with no molding or rubstrip trim, no front bumper, a body-colored small rear bumper, and no external a-pillar antenna. I also have a set of satin black Talbot mirrors as well... taking everything on a stock car from chrome to black may not look so hot though...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Have seen a couple cars with it done and can't really decide if I like it or not. I know that this flies in the face of all that is purity but my car is hardly that, seeing as I have gotten rid of side marker lights, beltline trim and various other doodads. With the color choice I am going with Sienna Red Metallic as found on 01 M5's (not this later sienna nasty color) I think the chrome is a little too glaring and that blacked out might look good. Any ideas? Thanks

Tristan

post a picture of your car, and someone here can photoshop the trim for you (or ... do you have pshop?) and then you can decide. :)

It's a lot cheaper, you solve the rusting underneath problem and you can use from millions of available colors and width. And the best part is that, from 10 feet, you can't tell.

If you are really picky, you can paint the stripe.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Posting a picture is slightly an issue right now. Just some detail the car is running no front bumper, the older style na zender with the slats instead of ducts, the fenders have been cut and I am awaiting vw rabbit flares(metal) to weld on. All of the belt line trim has been deleted, wiht the holes welded up. I am depating the use of some vitaloni mirrors. I am debating paiting a slight stripe i.e 1-2inch down the sides in antharite. We will see.

I would like those turbo lock strips though...can you get those blunt?

Thanks for the opinions guys

1970-resto/mod =money drain

1973 Charmonix, mhh clean

GO COUGS

Posting a picture is slightly an issue right now. Just some detail the car is running no front bumper, the older style na zender with the slats instead of ducts, the fenders have been cut and I am awaiting vw rabbit flares(metal) to weld on. All of the belt line trim has been deleted, wiht the holes welded up. I am depating the use of some vitaloni mirrors. I am debating paiting a slight stripe i.e 1-2inch down the sides in antharite. We will see.

I would like those turbo lock strips though...can you get those blunt?

Thanks for the opinions guys

yep i can get them

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I'm always hesitant to give opinions on threads like these because I pretty obviously see things differently than the rest of the world. In the movie "The Life of Brian" where Brian is preaching to the multitude and he says "You are all individuals!", I'm the one guy that puts his hand up and says, "No. I'm not." ;)

I kind of like the shaved look myself. I have with every car I've owned in recent years.

The blacked out trip would look good with certain colors of car.

Pete

• 9 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread since I'm thinking of black trim as well. Probably scuff and use Black SEM.

After reading several archived threads I wonder why the dislike for black trim? The first 2002 I saw in person was this one in the BMW factory in SC. Had this old photo kicking around for a while and dug it up once I decided on a 2002 this year.

Black trim for the Turbo is stock? At least the one on the museum floor is...

gallery_49601_494_105034.jpg

Edited by theNomad

Personal opinion. NO. I never heard of factory black trim. My main reason for not liking it is it looks like you're trying hard to stand out when you're really not.

I don't even like trim delete so maybe I'm biased. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

horrible ..hate it....ricey.........not cool.....not classy.......dated  ......

wrong car for blacked out trim.........

haaaaate it

seriously, to each his own......but think of other classics, say a GTV, a 911,  jag e type, Ferrari, etc etc ..

and now  think black trim.......really?

Edited by jrkoupe