• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint question

paulscheffey

Your paint shop should be able to mix up a blend based on a formula they have for BMW colors. You need the paint code and they can mix from there. I used PPG, they have a computer program that tells the color mixer the correct weights of each color needed to form the color.

I am not sure how it works in the US, but it seems that it is uncommon for a panel/paint shop to mix its own paints??

toddsig05.jpg

BAPS Auto Paint & Supply, 630 Oak Street, Lemoyne, PA is a PPG auto paint store right in your front yard. Tell them you need BMW Fjord Paint Code 037 / 906 and they will be able to take care of you.

I believe you are one of the nearest 02 owners to State College, so howdy neighbor. I attend evening meetings in Lemoyne monthly, and I expect to be driving my 02s there next Spring (assuming one or both are back together by then).

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

i know exatly where that is my best friends father owns young ironworks which is right behind baps! what meeting in lemoyne? im only 16 and have had my 75 for a year and have been working on getting the body done.. other than some rust my car is together and runs vey well i hope to see yours come through in the spring. thanks for the help

And...the color chart with paint codes is available right here on the sight.

when i tried to get Malaga using the colorcode, 023, i was told it would only be available using single-stage paint.

if i wanted 2-stage paint (which i did), they'd have to color match it.

which they did a LOUSY job of, btw.

looking back, i wouldn't be surprised if those idiots were like me and didn't know their A$$ from a hole in the ground.

oh well. that was my recent experience with color matching.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

i know exatly where that is my best friends father owns young ironworks which is right behind baps! what meeting in lemoyne? im only 16 and have had my 75 for a year and have been working on getting the body done.. other than some rust my car is together and runs vey well i hope to see yours come through in the spring. thanks for the help

Borough board meeting. I am there to keep your poop plant from overflowing.

An 02 is an awesome first car. You will be hard pressed to find a car that's funner to drive or, in many respects, easier to work on.

I don't know if you realize it, but a 75 in a PA smog county (yes, Cumberland is one) has to pass an emissions inspection. It is currently only visual and gas cap, which means your emissions gadgets must be present and connected.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

i agree i cant wait till its on the road i drove it when it was still in atlanta and it was so much fun i didnt want to get out of it! i had been wondering about the emissions issue for some time now. i knew it wouldent have to be "sniffed" but wasnt sure of exaust.. thank for that info. but did my car ever have a cat. on it? i havent really checked into it. other than a cat what else will it need. (its more or less a lack of an exaust system- header, through one resonator, and out the back) if there is anything else i would greatly appreciate the info.

You have the normal* exhaust. BMW did not equip 02s with cats or any other exhaust modifications for emissions control. The smog equipment included an air pump, vacuum lines, relays and such that interconnected with the carb, dizzy intake and exhaust headers. You would do best to hit the FAQ Search button for keywords like "emission" or "smog" and get up to speed.

There should be a crude schematic sticker on top of your drivers side engine bay that shows the principal emissions equipment installed in the car. The inspection mechanic refers to this sticker and checks to see that all is present and wired/hosed up. If you are lucky, your smog equipment will still be there, but a lot of 02s have been stripped of smog gear.

Besides having all the smog gear, another option available in PA is registering your car as a Classic Car. This exempts it from all smog regs. However, it places usage restrictions on the car to once per week, so you probably don't want to go this route.

Another option is registering it in a non-smog county, if you happen to have a second residence; but it is only a matter of time before smog law is applied state-wide, especially with Rendell leading the way.

*EDIT - Header, down pipe, resonator, muffler = stock exhaust. The resonator is just the fat length of pipe between the muffler and the down pipe.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

when i tried to get Malaga using the colorcode, 023, i was told it would only be available using single-stage paint.

Hmm, I have a Malaga 2002 USA (exported back to Europe) and I thought it was code 021 for Malaga and 023 for Granada.

That may be the reason your color came out wrong.

My car is under restoration, so I need to get the correct paint on it somewhere in 2007.