• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torque converter removal?

philv

There should be 5 or 6 small bolts (13mm?) that stick through the flex plate. They are on the motor side of the flex plate. You can get at them close to the oil pan and by turning the motor. Remove these and the converter should fall off. Watch your toes, they can be heavy. Flex plate comes off like a flywheel.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

There should be 5 or 6 small bolts (13mm?) that stick through the flex plate. They are on the motor side of the flex plate. You can get at them close to the oil pan and by turning the motor. Remove these and the converter should fall off. Watch your toes, they can be heavy. Flex plate comes off like a flywheel.

John

Heavy and messy... aren't they usually filled with auto trans fluid???

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Heavy and messy... aren't they usually filled with auto trans fluid???

this is relevant to my needs. i will actually be going in the opposite direction of installing an auto trans into a working longblock.

do i fill the torque converter with fluid before assembly or is it filled from the dipstick spout when it's all bolted in and installed in the car?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

this is relevant to my needs. i will actually be going in the opposite direction of installing an auto trans into a working longblock.

do i fill the torque converter with fluid before assembly or is it filled from the dipstick spout when it's all bolted in and installed in the car?

No idea. I've only gone the other way. No need to put an auto in unless I was building a drag car. U building a drag 02???

Seriously I'd have to venture a guess and say that it can be assembled dry and then filled. I'd also have to venture a guess and say that it would need to be primed, prepped or something.... Maybe CD will chime in. I wouldn't want to give you any misleading info. Sorry I can't tell you more.

Usually auto trans fluid is filled warm & engine running at the dipstick - I'd say filling it cold and not running would probably be a no-no. Just what I would do with the understanding of a monkey when it comes to auto trans installations...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Assemble it dry, you do not need to wash your self in oil, when it is all assembled put in a couple of litres of oil, I am assuming the box is wet but not full with oil, you can start the engine and with the box in idle, fill through the diptick and keep checking the level, when you get close go through the gear selector positions, keeping your foot on the brake of course. Final check with the gearbox and engine at normal temp.