• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

will dry Ice in a tied trashbag placed on the tar boards

Arizona02

Guest Anonymous

Well think about how dry ice will work on the plastic bag. it will freeze the plastic and on the first hit break a hole in the bag.

Sam

Well think about how dry ice will work on the plastic bag. it will freeze the plastic and on the first hit break a hole in the bag.

Sam

not necessarily.

i broke the dry ice slabs into smaller chunks by hitting it with a rubber mallet on a cement floor while it was contained within a regular bag. granted, i wouldn't be able to hold water in the bag after this treatment, but the bag withstood the pounding suitably for what i needed it for. and the plastic bag did not embrittle to the point of shattering. i think you'd need liquid nitrogen temperatures for that to happen.

transferring the broken pieces into a trash bag afterwards sounds like a great way to keep the dry ice contained. only issue is that you are sacrificing a little bit on conduction efficiency, but probably trivial with the flimsy trash bags out there.

this would also allow you to cover up the dry ice with your finest linens and down comforter (to hold the cold), guilt-free without contamination, and your 'significant other' would never have to know.

if you don't want to mess with dry ice bits mixed with tar scraps merely let the whole mixture evaporate. you'll be left with only the detrious to clean up. no dry ice.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Dry ice works great for the floor board section...under your feet and under the front seats. If you want to remove the tar in any other place...like the driveshaft tunnel or under the back seat, use a heat gun and a puddy knife....The dry ice doesn't work well on those areas...usually some of the tar is left. Be sure to cut the tar in a checkerbaord pattern using a utility knife first for both methods. The tar comes up easier that way. Also, you don't need to put the ice in a trash bag...just throw it right on top of the tar....Be sure to use a gloves to handle the stuff....It will freeze your skin quickly...

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT