• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ahh...the 68 1600 gets a facelift

azee

Amazing what new(er) grills + bumper, and a coupla driving lights does for the front end. She's starting to look a whole lot better! Just thought I'd share! :)

I've got a looooong road ahead of me. Found out from Mobile Tradition that my 1600 was born on April 16, 1968, so I plan on getting her back on the road looking decently nice by her 40th b-day. Unfirtunately no time/money for a full on concourse type resto, but I'd be very happy with just a nice, clean daily driver type.

I need to start a project blog already...

Alan

post-2217-13667571736042_thumb.jpg

post-2217-13667571737041_thumb.jpg

Alan

68 1600

07 530i

Found out from Mobile Tradition that my 1600 was born on April 16, 1968, so I plan on getting her back on the road looking decently nice by her 40th b-day.

I need to start a project blog already...

Alan

hey, your's is close to my 1602. i got the following from MT

"The BMW 1600 US VIN 1564726 was manufactured on April 9th, 1968 and

delivered on April 19th, 1968 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in

New York City. The original colour was Turf, paint code 073."

what's your VIN? they may have gone down the assembly line together.

mine spent a large portion of its life in Oakland, btw. it's gonna be my spoiled 1600ti-clone someday.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thanks for the kind feedback guys! It's nice to see some before and after pictures to get a small sense of accomplishment. Like I said before, I've got a loooong way to go. I guess the grills and bumper are kinda the easy part. The interior is pretty thrashed, the Malaga re-paint is chipped and faded, the list goes on and on. The wife stays pretty clear of the garage (for my benefit and her own sanity, I would assume), so I don't think she has any idea what I've been up to with the car.

No other picts of the car, at least, none that are worth sharing! I'll post up a bunch when I do the project blog. Honestly, the car is *very* rough. Probably looks much better in that shot I posted than it does in real life. :)

Mike, believe it or not those driving lights are from....JC Whitney (don't flame me too bad!). $33, 5-1/2" diameter, 2" deep, chrome housings, and 100W H3 bulbs. I haven't hooked 'em up (I'll be using a relay) or anything yet, just mounted them for a quick test fit to see how they looked. For the price, I'm pleased.

Alan

68 1600

07 530i

Hi Jerry,

Looks like BMW pumped about almost 100 1600's in 7 days....mine is 1564823. The limited previous owner history I've got on mine shows it lived its life in the Bay area as well. I'm tempted to drive by the P.O's house when she's a runner again just for it to say "hey...remember me?" :P

Would love to see picts of your 1600 as well!

Alan

68 1600

07 530i

chalk and cheese as we say over here. Looks lovely - the kind of inspirational improvement that gets you to work on all the difficult greasy bits.

I took my 1600 to get a controle technique yesterday - it's a French cerificate of road worthiness. 2kms before the test station the exhuast started blowing, by the time i got there the sweet m10 sounded more tractor like. Bloody typical!

Good luck with your car.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Yee, what is it with the previous owners painting the chrome on the early grilles black to make it look like the later ones? This car my boyfriend at the time picked up off ebay looked the exact same until I sat down and scrubbed it all off! Sure makes a big difference!

I'm tempted to drive by the P.O's house when she's a runner again just for it to say "hey...remember me?" :P

I love that feeling! Karl's previous owner showed up at this year's Show & Shine which Karl was put in for judging. I told him Karl was parked with the other 02's and coyly asked if he knew if they had been judged yet. He said he didn't see Karl there, well, that is, until I pointed him out for him. I mean come on, there were only four 2002's at the show! What a meatball!!!

post-1526-13667571785856_thumb.jpg

post-1526-1366757178761_thumb.jpg

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg