• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NE1 change their G/B seals on their own?

jerry

i'll be reinstalling my motor and transmission in the near future and would like to ensure that it does not leak transmission fluid all over my newly cleaned underbody.

has anyone here ever rehabbed a transmission (4 or 5spd) at home?

i'm wondering if this is doable by a "gifted orangutan" or do i need to be higher up on the evolutionary tree?

i'll be installing a 5spd and don't have a manual for it. any special tools other than the thin-walled socket needed to loosen the output flange bolt?

anyone have the p/n's needed for a general refresh?

my intent is not to rebuild this unit, just seal it up assuming it would need it.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I did the seals on my 5 spd. Most of the seals are very easy to do. Just the selector shaft seal was a bit of a pain to get off. It took the longest out of all the seals to pull out, but I managed to get it out with a curved pick and a small flathead screw driver. Just be careful not to scratch the selector rod or the case as it may leak if you do put a large mark into them. When doing to output flange make sure to take out the lock plate. You will probably need an new one as I couldn't get it out without damage.

Seal kit for the 5 spd. I got was from 2002 Haus, for $24.95, which include an output shaft seal (23121222355), selector shaft seal (23121282394), output flange lock plate (23211490120), Fork arm lever bushing (21511202659), fork lever spring (21511204327), Reverse light switch(23141354071). It did not include the input shaft seal(23111228314), but I went ahead a order it from my local bmw parts for I think around $25.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

I took a 32mm axle socket (I think that was size...), but I turned down the OD on that part with a lathe when I just did my rear tranny seal. Worked like a charm.

Where abouts are you? I don't think I need it for a bit, but I can let you borrow it if you have a 1/2" drive ratchet. Email me.

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

is just to push the old seal in a bit, and add the new one on the outside.

The housing is quite deep, so the 2 seals con coexist peacefully.

I wonder how many times you can get away with that?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL