• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front floor pans

carnellm

If the front floors have rusted, is it better to use "real" replacement panels or can I just use plane sheet metal? Any thoughts? And if best to use replacement panels, where to get them? I have been searching the vendors on the Links page and nobody seems to list them. Is there some secret supplier of body panel repair metal?

Thanks!

1975 4-speed, Fjord, named Roxy

Michael - Charleston, SC

Maximillian Imports (east coast) and 2002ad (west coast) sell them at about the same price. No need to hassle with int'l shipping.

They both get them from the same supplier in California. They are of very good quality. I bought a passenger side floor pan last year.

It makes sense to buy this if you are paying someone to deal with the rust. It will save you hours of labor. If its a tiny hole, then it may be worth it to just patch.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I suppose that all depends on where in the pans it is. if it's in a odd shaped crevice or corner, you may want to cut out or buy a used one. if it's in a flat or easily shapable area anything 16 ga or thicker should work fine. and at the risk of sounding redneck- FYI: most older appliances like washers, fridges & stoves have 16 gauge (newer ones are probably 18-20 ga) shells on them and can usualy be had free. just wire, sand and cut.

Tim. 2 daily drivers

His: 68' 1602-

Hers: 76' 2002 auto-

That is the thing, I really don't need the entire floor board. I have just the front may 6 to 8 inches to replace. Seems like overkill to spend $200 per side. I didn't know if maybe there was someone who made and sold patch panels instead of the entire things.

Thanks for all your help. Guess if I go the patching route, I will have tp make them myself.

Michael - Charleston, SC

Here is Mike Pelly's website. While it is for coupes, the 2002 pans are basically the same and I believe prices are the same.

You can not get these parts from BMW.

http://www.dagsites.com/e9_floor_pans/

That is exactly what I was looking for - and with a good picture. Now just have to decide which way I want to go. I will probably figure that out when I start cutting out the dead wood . . .

Michael - Charleston, SC

......Seems like overkill to spend $200 per side. .......... Guess if I go the patching route, I will have to make them myself.

Depends how you value your own time.

Final thought: if you decide to order them from 2002AD, make sure they tell you up front (ie before you place the order) how long it will take them to get the parts. I had to wait like forever, and they never told me that they did not have them in stock, I was just waiting and waiting like an idiot.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Depends upon the extent of rot, IMO. I just finished patching the floor using 16-gauge sheet steel. It took time to cut/bend/shape/weld/grind, but it would have been overkill to replace the entire floor.

36586.jpg

36587.jpg

36588.jpg

Randy, that is some good looking sheet metal work. i can appreciate the time it took to make it look seamless. was there a tinsmith in your lineage, years ago?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa