• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need ideas for a high-charge warning light

-=Charley

recently, some components on my megasquirt board were fried after an alternator flipped out and started charing @ 17V plus. MS is fixed, but before i start it up again with the new alternator, i'd like to install some kind of warning light that activates @ ~15V just in case the regulator bones out again. yes.. i am an electronics student, but my aas degree only shows me how to use an ohm meter HAHAHA. any suggestions = mucho appreciated.

-Charley

aargh!

132_3235.jpg

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

Why not put a voltage limiting gate with an led attached, a choke with an indicator you know.

Wire the overflow from the voltage limit-gate to a joy buzzer mounted in the seat cushion. Then you'll be able to monitor both the frequency and magnitude of overvoltage events in a way that an idiot-light can't replicate.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

I haven't done a megasquirt yet, but would reccomend if your ee student, look up basic zener regulator power supply circuits & apply it to your car. So maybe put a 15 or 16 volt zener diode to ground with appropriate size resistor in series & you have a 15 or 16 volt regulator that would be inactive at 13.8 volts if all was going well.. Would cost all of 2 bucks. 1N4744A or 45A, maybe get a 5 watt version, which would be a different #. As far as high-charge warning light, either you need a full time voltmeter on the dash, or you need to fix your charging system to be reliable, imo. Or if you like playing with LED's, you could build a simple comparator circuit to drive an LED if it went over say 14.8 volts, or look up LM3915 & LM3914 IC's if you want that circuit prebuilt to drive 10 LED's over any volt range.

2002 owner since 1980