• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on the Tii air box

Troy

I am about to rehab the air can and I was wondering if any of youseguys have any pictures of it in either silver or black. I am planning on powdercoating it to a shiney finish. I have repainted it, back 3 yrs ago, in a flat black rattle can finish and I am not pleased. Thanks

If I remember right, I used PJ1 Fast Black on mine 3 or 4 years ago, still looks good. Not quit satin, sort of a low gloss.

Case paint....comes to mind.

Bill's right. Stock is more of a satin finish. I personally like a low gloss but not high gloss. But, of course, you can make it any color you like. I've seen one painted yellow to match the engine dressings.

powder coating is definitely the way to go. I did my own a few years ago and it was fine but I like the look and durability of a powder coated job.

I've had a number of underhood bits powdercoated "satin black" on a 122 Volvo wagon I worked on a few years ago (heater blower box, front subframe, a few brackets, etc.).

I even had my vintage tii stressbar powder coated in the same color.

My original-finish tii aircan on my '73tii has a lot of "patina" from fuel and oil being wiped off of it, so it's dull-looking, but not flat...shiny, but not too shiny.

The "satin black" powdercoat finish is pretty close.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

That sure is a beautiful engine Bill!!

I'm like Delia, my airbox also has the patina. I'll need to add a black satin powdercoat on my to do list.

I especially like the colored roundel on tuna can cover, did you PC that also, of is it painted?

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

A friend from high school, that is not in the "home" yet, painted the roundel on the tuna can for me.

I am not sure what is the original color for the clips, I need to pull some old brochures to see.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

on the carbureted air cleaner box (both were made by Purolator, I think); if so, they're zinc plated, kinda yellowish-silver...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It looks good and is very durable -- important for a tii airbox. If all you can afford is spray paint, try one of these:

Krylon Semi-Flat Black - quick drying and easy to use

Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black - slow drying but durable and heat-resistant

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

The clips on my Tii's are painted black BUT the Jan 2007 issue of Automobile Mag has pix of the Mobile Tradition with plated clips (I'm guessing yellow dichromate).

Personally, I'd have the clips satin nickel plated

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

Or, if you are in California, OSH satin black is one of the best tools to have. At the body shop we used it for touching up any of those unsightly oversprays on the wheel wells or under carraige.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes