• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How clip in rear drum brake spring? I think I messed up...

jimmyfal

I have attached 2 photos. The second pic shows the spring in front of the notched clip. The first shows just the clip.

I noticed something on my brakes that I thought was not right.

The spring was riding ON TOP of the notched clip. (see white line on pic 1)

In pic 2 it is in front of the notch.

What is the notch for if not to hold the spring in?

I bent the notch apart so the spring sits in the notch.

I think I did the wrong thing but it sure seems like it will hold better than on top of the notch.

I guess my question is what is the notch for? And how is the spring supposed to be positioned?

Thanks guys...

jimmy fallon

post-2372-13667571843703_thumb.jpg

post-2372-13667571845018_thumb.jpg

Jimmy Fallon

bonechops@hotmail.com

yes, your thoughts are correct. you do not bend the tabs apart. the 'notch' merely provides a seat for the little bend in the spring. the spring needs to be behind that split tab.

it's a bit of a pain to install, but i've had sucess by installing one end of the spring into the hole in the brake shoe, then get the little bend behind the notch that you describe, then take two screw drivers; one to secure the little bend to the notch and the other to wedge the free end into the remaining hole in the other brake shoe. it works, but takes alittle patience. if you have a hooked seal puller you can try using that too.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I just did my rear brakes a month ago, seems like yesterday. That section of the install/replacement did give me a challenge. Most importantly the spring goes behind the plate with the notch. And believe it or not but that notch is so helpful. Allow me me to share my method just in case you do not have that hook tool needed to perform the last step of the install. Here's how I did it. First insert one side of the spring into the one designated hole, next slide the spring behind the notched plate, and with the spring behind the notched plate stick a screwdriver on the notch to prevent the spring from popping out. Lastly with a long nose vise, clamp the other side of the spring , pull hard and try to insert the spring into the other designated hole. Done in 2 minutes or less. I hope I did not confuse you and make matters worse. Either way, If I can do it, You can do it tooo......good luck and have fun

74tii, 5 Spd, BBK, 320 Rad, Eibach.

a cotter pin extractor.

Over the years I've been mostly cursing that #@$%**& spring into position!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This method works extremely well.

Place one end of the spring into one hole, place the bent portion of the spring, behind the tabbed area. Then, using a peice of reinforced plastic strapping (used to keep shipped items from coming apart, or binding things together) snake the strapping behind the spring and just pull out on the spring. Its that simple; the spring will sit on top of the pad backing and you can guide the pin into the hole. A pain in the ass task now takes 30 seconds.