• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76 window crank not smooth....

jimmyfal

it's not easy to close or open the window, and when it gets to the top, it starts to skip and won't close without me helping it. (holding the window). I got the door trim off and the plastic covering, but it looks like whatever the fix is, is gonna be a hassle. Any suggestions on what I do from here?

Thanks...

jimmy fallon

Jimmy Fallon

bonechops@hotmail.com

the three 10mm bolts around the crank), and the felt tracks the window moves in aren't damaged/missing/loose, then the regulator itself is dying.

You can replace or try and repair it. If you want to attempt the latter (not difficult, just time consuming but a LOT cheaper than a new one), drop me an e-mail...somewhere at home I have instructions on how to remove and repair a worn/broken regulator.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i had similar issues with my 75 02 when i got it. i discovered that nothing was broken, just years of benign neglect take their toll.

my solution was to disassemble one door at a time, keeping the other door untouched, for reference.

the white grease in the window tracks dries out and becomes useless. additionally, the plastic roller on the window regulator arm gets loose from wear and/or rusty.

give yourself a saturday afternoon to disassemble, clean in mineral spirits, grease with white lithium grease, and reassemble. you might as well clean the lock assemblies too.

i did not replace anything and i am now able to roll the windows with ease.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

If you take it apart, remove the plastic bisquit-shaped glides from the rear track, clean the goo off of them, then reverse their locations top to bottom.

These are NLA from BMW, so new ones or those that are less worn might be difficult to obtain.

When I did my doors, I reversed their locations top to botttom, and they're fine for the time being. I have newer ones from a parts car that will go in eventually.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

The restoration guide mentions lubricating the window tracks with Silicon spray not grease.

Any thoughts on what to grease and what not? I was thinking anything with sprockets should be greased and any rollers should be oiled.

Just checkin in before I put it all back together...

jf

Jimmy Fallon

bonechops@hotmail.com