• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Window trim installation

ericj

What is the proper technique for installing the plastic trim into the rear window rubber seal? I can't seem to get more than 6 inches installed from sliding it in and then trying to use a flat screwdriver. I have seen a tool for sale. Is that the best route?

Also, I would like to put some new passenger and driver external window wipers in. What is the best way to remove the old wipers? Do you need to remove the trim along the lower portion of the window?

TIA

Eric

1. The easiest way to install the plastic chrome trim on the windshield and backlight gasket is with the proper tool. They're inexpensive and will save you a lotta work, cussin' and possibly boogered up rubber, plastic, glass or your hands.

2. You can replace the door glass squeegee with the trim in place or removed. If what you have now is disintegrated rubber, it's better to remove the trim first. To do this, take a small piece of wood (a paint stirring stick cut down to about 7-8"is ideal. Then place it under the lower edge of the trim on the back (door handle) end GENTLY tap on the free end with a hammer. Gradually work your way back to front to pop it off. While it's off, check for and fix any rust under it that you find. Then remove the old squeegee from the trim.

If your current squeegee is the plastic/fuzzy strip as described below, you can probably pull it out without having to remove the trim. In that case, proceed as below:

The only new ones available are plastic with a fuzzy insert glued to one side. Don't try to slide it in place; it'll get stuck about halfway down. Instead, position it on the trim and pop it in, starting at the vent window end. Cut off the surplus with a razor blade and you're done. Reinstall the metal trim, vent window end first by gently tapping in place with a rubber mallet.

Be slow and methodical, and DON'T BEND THE TRIM! A new piece is $130 from BMW!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If your current squeegee is the plastic/fuzzy strip as described below, you can probably pull it out without having to remove the trim. In that case, proceed as below:

The only new ones available are plastic with a fuzzy insert glued to one side.

Be slow and methodical, and DON'T BEND THE TRIM! A new piece is $130 from BMW!

mike

i was told recently that this squeegee is NLA. anyone have a part number for me? i need several.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

they look and work better. The folks at JAMIC sent me a squeegee piece from an early CS coupe that I'm experimenting with to see if it'll work on the 2002 trim piece; I'll report on any success/failure soon as I find a few minutes to mess with it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 years later...