• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30 years of brake dust on alloys....how get rid of?

jimmyfal

i have some spray stuff from bmw that does a good job on loose stuff, but on the really caked up parts it seems like its gonna take forever to get it off.

I"m toying with the idea of using a sandblaster, is that gonna pit it up or does anyone think I can get away with that?

I tried a wire brush attachement on a drill but that was too abrasive. I hate to think i gotta use some dremel thing thats gonna take me all day long...

thanks jf

post-2372-13667572041771_thumb.jpg

Jimmy Fallon

bonechops@hotmail.com

elbow grease, my friend

best working stuff available. and a scotchbrite pad (though they contain carbide particles so exercise care). 000 steel wool is safer.

you could try sandblasting IF you yourself are at the controls and set pressure under 25psi otherwise you'll probably eat through the finish. no, you won't damage the underlying metal even at higher pressures.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

You could try getting a big tub and soaking each wheel in a solution of detergent (Simple Green would probably do well) for a while... that'll loosen the stuff up, then blast 'em with the hose. But chances are the finish is fubar'd under the caked on dust, in which case you may as well bead blast and re-spray.

--

1974 BMW 2002 M2 (for sale, some assembly required)

1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Truck (Caddy)

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

I used Easy-off oven cleaner (spray) on my BBS basketweaves with great results. Better to wash it off early and re-apply once or twice. It can react with the aluminaum if left too long. A wire brush helps in the tight spots. ;)

I used Easy-off oven cleaner (spray) on my BBS basketweaves with great results. Better to wash it off early and re-apply once or twice. It can react with the aluminaum if left too long. A wire brush helps in the tight spots. ;)

You're wasting time cleaning those..you'll never get them looking good..or you will, but after hours and hours and hours of labor...Sand and paint them....Use Wurth brand silver and Wurth clear coat available at Greenfield Imported Car Parts in Greenfield, MA...they ship too... Web - www.gicp.com I've done this on many of my wheels...quick, easy, and comes out looking brand new and the color is a match to the factory silver....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT