• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front wheel bearings

TJW

engineers design applications to fit existing bearing sizes rather than vice versa. I discovered that the 6202 bearing on my Frigiking A/C idler pulley also fits the water pump in my 1959 Renault, as well as the fan belt idler pulley and the generator, and the Renault's rear axle bearing is the same as the inner bearing on a 34 Chevy front axle...

BTW, American bearings have been made to metric dimensions since the thirties, which accounts for the odd sizes some are when quoted in English (inch) dimensions.

Shock absorber interchanges are even odder: same shock fits 49-53 Dodge/Chrysler/Desoto; 52-61 Jeep Station Wagon; 56-61 VW Microbus and 48-55 Fiat Topolino. Go figure. And the front shocks on my 93 Nissan 4wd pickup truck work on my 56 Renault 4CV, front and rear.

Automotive trivia for today.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

for what it's worth:

i'm finding out that a whole lot of 02 seals and bearings are available at my local industrial bearing supply store.

this includes: steering box seals, transmission seals, wheel bearings

when i saw the 'Made in ROC' label on the BMW bag, i figured what i can get at the industrial supply company can't be too much different in quality. it's not been an issue with me.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa