• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm NOT holding this pain for a year, some #@*& keyed my

InkaSteve

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"no judge, no jury...straight to execution."

yeah, touch up paint might make it more pronounced if you daub it on with the crappy toe nail polish brush they provide with the touch up kit. i recently had to cover up some scratches on my MINI with the factory touch up paint. i found that applying several thin coats with an artist fine point brush worked well. then i wiped the excess with a good rubber spatula allowing the paint to fill in the gap to avoid the glob up. it takes several passes, but when it dries it is nearly invisible. wipe up any excess the spatula misses with a fine lint-free wipe (like a kim-wipe). works great for deep scratches like when GIANT EFF-ING A-HOLEs KEY YOUR 02!!!!!!

hope that helps!

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

there might be a surveillance camera that was on and you could get a copy of to see who did it. Now you see why I was paranoid even parking in your lot for a few minutes.

I had a girlfiend in the late '70s whose separated husband (they were separated for many years at the time) keyed my 1600-2 on the hood (he told her he did it). Luckily it was only about two inches long, but I went to the guys work and keyed his motorcycle tank for revenge, and I left the curly-cues for him to wipe off.

Vandalism is covered under comprehensive coverage on your car insurance. I don't think even repainted panels will match properly. I'd try and cut a deal with whomever you want to paint it and have them do the whole car with the insurance company footing a good portion of the bill.

there might be a surveillance camera that was on and you could get a copy of to see who did it. Now you see why I was paranoid even parking in your lot for a few minutes.

Didn't happen in my work lot. It is usually fairly safe there. I have an end space next to a car that never goes anywhere. It was somewhere when I was out on deliveries. Just one of those things. There are jerks everywhere. Fortunately I have $100 deductible on comprehensive, which includes vandalism. (I wonder if it includes separating balljoints??)

The paint job is so nice, and practically new, I wouldn't want to risk having a worse job just because I was worried they couldn't match the color. I don't think I can send it back to Germany for repairs. I will discuss my options with the adjuster..

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

normal stuff -- it subjects it to too much risk. Technically, if you had the car on a historic policy of some sort you'd be violating the policy conditions using it as a substitute for your regular use vehicle. I'd be careful of mentioning you were using it for deliveries on your job. Most historic policies exclude coverage if used to/from work, business use, shopping and especially leaving it unattended.

Your handling it rather well. I think i'd have flipped out completely! Some people just have no clue to the amount of work people put into their cars. What does keying a car achieve anyway.... F'n wankers!

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Your handling it rather well. I think i'd have flipped out completely! Some people just have no clue to the amount of work people put into their cars. What does keying a car achieve anyway.... F'n wankers!

I was pretty depressed last night, couldn't even write about it. Really bummed out. Better perspective today. Rested up, and checked out insurance policy.

I bought the car to DRIVE IT. If driving it increases the risks of harming it, so be it. That is what insurance is for. I really love the Touring, it is a very unique car and alway attracts a lot of attention from everyone, old, young, male, female, enthusiasts, non-enthusiasts, even the occasional jerk. But the pluses of driving it far outweigh the negatives. I don't think I will build a glass case for it and put it in the living room. Think of the guys that race priceless cars at the Historics. Granted, they have a lot more money, but they are having a blast.

I have access to an X3, my other 2002, and our Highlander, given a choice I always pick the Touring.

Appreciate everyones empathy, but today, I think I will live, yesterday was pretty depressing.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

Dayum!

I just don't get it. How is it that a BMW..any BMW...seems to attract the dregs of humanity.

I mean it's not like the cars are new or anything. Certainly this is not about somebody's new, and overly insured, seven series or M-car. A $60,000 car is going to have enough insurance to handle this little "inconvenience."

My '74tii is pre-ding-ed and damaged, complete with double key marks on the passenger side and a nasty door sideswipe on the driver's side. I might add that I have a matching salvage title

Forunately, my '73tii is languishing in an undisclosed location (formerly occupied by Dick Cheney).

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

it looks like you have a base/ clear coat paint by looking at the white evidence. Try the finger nail test - running your finger nails across the scratches. If it clicks then you have to repaint, if it doesn't (shallow scratch), then there is a possibility of color sanding and polishing most of it. I can't tell by the pictures. I wish I was nearby...

A good body shop can repaint the affected panels and blend the adjacent ones ( which really means the whole side) and it would look like nothing ever happened. Email me if you need help. It is such a shame that there are assholes out there, that get a freaking thrill out of doing shit like this!

FAQ Member # 91

Michael,

I was hoping you would chime in..The white you see is primer, and I do get a click when I run my fingernail over it. I know my insurance should take care of most of it, but I am intrigued by Brad's suggestion. It is a very thin groove and not through the primer. It might fill very well if handled very carefully as Brad suggests. Just food for thought. Got a retired paint and body friend down here, I will have him look at it.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

if you have comprehensive insurance, then you should be covered for the repairs. Take it to a reputable body shop. Has happened to me twice. Back in 2002 on my brand new Toyota Tacoma and last year on my Volvo. I took it to the dealer and they did a wonderful job. I cant tell it was repaired. You should be alright. I cant understand how sick minded people are these days.

Merry Christmas!

AP

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti