• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Becker Europa Installed

JohnC

My installation of a Becker Europa II Stereo is complete! I didn't even have to cut my original Frigiking panel. I bought a used Frigiking console panel from Carl Nelson, cleaned it up and applied some of that "shoe polish" bumper conditioner from Griot's. It looks like new! If I ever decide to install a hidden high end stereo, I've got my unmolested one to reinstall. The sound quality of the Becker is surprisingly good, as is the reception. I mounted Infinity 4" 4012i speakers under the dash. Bought a "black tip" Hirshmann from Bav Auto. The red tip on ebay sold for over $180 bucks - a little beyond what I was willing to pay. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.

Note the Ipod jack just to the right of the console under the dash.

While I was at it, I had my speedo rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer, it was reading about 20% too high. Now it's right on the money. Cleaned up the backside of the glass as well, looks brand new.

Thanks Blunt and Esty for your advice!

post-2253-13667572200771_thumb.jpg

post-2253-13667572202697_thumb.jpg

post-2253-13667572205256_thumb.jpg

post-2253-13667572207069_thumb.jpg

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

looks nice John..Is the I-pod connection wired directly into the radio?

I-pod or MP3 connections would be a interesting topic of discussion. I am trying to stay "period correct" but still using modern technology like the Ipod or mp3 player.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I-pod or MP3 connections would be a interesting topic of discussion. I am trying to stay "period correct" but still using modern technology like the Ipod or mp3 player.

Old Beckers have a rather interesting feature...

On Europa Models, there's a mini-stereo jack on the back of the radio that tunes to an "Aux" setting on the radio itself. While you still have to skip tracks on the iPod, all the balance and volume (no fade, 2-channel radio) is controlled through the stereo.

So long as you find a clean one, or open the case and clean out the contacts on the volume attenuation, Europas have a really nice sound to them.

The dash looks great, and that radio looks perfectly at home. Nice Job!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Old Beckers have a rather interesting feature...

On Europa Models, there's a mini-stereo jack on the back of the radio that tunes to an "Aux" setting on the radio itself.

Actually, there's a six pin DIN connector on the back. From what I understand from the wiring diagram on the Becker USA website, this was designed for an auxiliary tape deck or other external device. There's no Aux setting or switch on the radio itself. Becker USA sells the ipod adapter cable for $49. Pretty pricey, if you know what you're doing you could make one yourself (I don't). When you plug a male jack into the ipod jack, it cuts out the radio receiver. The external input is then amplified and uses the head unit's volume control. Very nice!

Becker USA will also modify your radio and install the ipod jack directly in the radio's face plate, but I don't know what they charge for this.

Steve, FYI, I bought the radio on ebay for $179 from cpi2000. Apparently he deals in these old radios. He "refurbished" it, everything works perfectly. I would recommend him if you're thinking of purchasing one. For me, it was worth paying a bit more than taking a chance on just another "used" one.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

wow, thats interesting... Maybe I was thinking of the Mexico? I know one of the older-model Beckers has a Din-style plug right on the back of it...

Six pins, hm? You wouldn't happen to have a shot of the back of the Radio chassis, would you?

Edit: I'm guessing you're talking about the Burgundy-colored plug shown in this image...

34e7_1.JPG

But the pins into the Becker tape players had 8 pins. I'd be curious to see what your iPod cable looks like.

34b6_1.JPG

$40 is a good buy for an iPod link cable, too. If you had a new Pioneer or Alpine unit, an iPod cable can be between $80 and $120.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

wow, thats interesting... Maybe I was thinking of the Mexico? I know one of the older-model Beckers has a Din-style plug right on the back of it...

Six pins, hm? You wouldn't happen to have a shot of the back of the Radio chassis, would you?

Edit: I'm guessing you're talking about the Burgundy-colored plug shown in this image...

34b6_1.JPG

i think your second pic is the amp cable to the mexico and others that came with an amp

I didn't take a pic, but here's a link to the wiring diagram

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Classic/europa_stereo_II_73_80_wiring_diagram.html

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

6 pins=mono, 8 pins=stereo.

This site (found from 2002faq search) has IPOD adaptors for everything:

http://www.youngtimerradio-shop.de/

Edit: This is for Blaupunkt..... have to wonder if Becker is similar...

You're probably right. Maybe it was an 8 pin??? just looking at the above website, much cheaper! They've got one that looks similar, but is only 15.90 euro = $21, but it probably ships from Germany

I'm sure if you sent an email to Becker USA they'd tell you. They're very responsive.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA